a rock and a hard place

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlumBum2

Beta member
hey guys, I'm currently running a way out of date intel mobo with a celeron 2.6 processor. It's so old I've got PC133 ram in it with only a 400MHz FSB on the cpu.

I have this extra p4 3.0E HT on hand, but it needs an 800MHz FSB socket 478 mobo to run--my current mobo is a crap intel that I can't overclock through the bios.

I'm wondering what my best bet is -- buy a nice and cheap board which can run the p4, or try and go with an upgraded socket 775 and go for a cheap PD or something or even an amd processor? Either way I'l have to buy all new ram, and honestly, I'm willing to stick with an AGP board so i can still use my kick *** XFX 6800 Xtreme. I want to keep the complete upgrade under 200 bucks. What do I do?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Yeh I was thinking about getting this board and spending around 100 bucks on a good gig of ddr400 from OCZ or someone reputable.

I just want to know that that board is overclockable and accesible--I also want to be able to run vista and everything real well.

hopefully the darn thing won't be a waste--I've already thrown in several hundred dollars overhauling my system and now I've peaked out its performance. I really want to utilize this P4 and I dont want to have to spend a lot more money. To be honest, I've probably busted almost 1000$ just pulling everything else in the PC up and now I've really got to just upgrade the board.

I can't decide whether to wait even longer or to go for it now. I don't want the use and the availability of p4 s478 boards to drop before I actualy have the currency to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom