The right power supply - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: The right power supply

I'd recommend not cheaping out on your PSU, bad thing happen when you do..

(like fried parts)
__________________

__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
meat_helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,119
Default Re: The right power supply

Rosewill isnt cheaping out though - they are a good brand.
__________________

__________________
meat_helmet is offline  
Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: The right power supply

Oh I meant the original PSU in his post.. but ya, that Rosewill is fine.. cutting it close though..
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 12-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
I don't overclock
 
Fat.Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: offline
Posts: 3,326
Default Re: The right power supply

this is my current favorite
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply
since the antec earthwatts has jumped up in price...
Fat.Clown is offline  
Old 12-17-2008, 02:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
DBD
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 333
Default Re: The right power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr077 View Post
Would that rosewill really be close? I've only got a DVD drive, 7200 RPM HD and an HD4870 in there and that supply has 2 +12V rails at 18 A each. Would going to 600W help?

Newegg.com - Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL-S 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies

Also, recommendations on any other parts (particularly motherboards) are appreciated

A basic single gfx card gaming rig doesn't need a 600 watt PSU!

I will be ordering the same parts you listed with the Rosewill PSU I posted. It has enough power for the rig I'M building and it has 241 excellent reviews on newegg.

Here is a PSU calculator, everyone should bookmark it! eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

The rig I'm building only needs 446 watts and that's at %100 power usage with %30 capacitor aging. Make sure you calculate for hardware you might want to add in the future.
__________________
DBD is offline  
Old 12-17-2008, 02:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
meat_helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,119
Default Re: The right power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD View Post
A basic single gfx card gaming rig doesn't need a 600 watt PSU!

I will be ordering the same parts you listed with the Rosewill PSU I posted. It has enough power for the rig I'M building and it has 241 excellent reviews on newegg.

Here is a PSU calculator, everyone should bookmark it! eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

The rig I'm building only needs 446 watts and that's at %100 power usage with %30 capacitor aging. Make sure you calculate for hardware you might want to add in the future.
LOL!!

It even states on that calculator website that: 'The recommended total Power Supply Wattage gives you a general idea on what to look for BUT it is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection! Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important, followed by the +5V amperage and then the +3.3V amperage. ' And your relying on newegg reviews.

You have to realise that this is true, and that you have to be aware of where all the watts from a PSU are going. If most of the watts are going to the 5v and 3.3v then you will be stuffed when trying to add a big graphics card that runs of the 12v rails.

While i agree that you dont need a 600w psu for a single card in the most part, it depends alot more on the brand of psu (ie. a cheapo brand may supply alot less to the 12v rails than a good brand psu of the same wattage.)

Just be aware, there is alot more to it than simply how many watts a psu is rated at.
__________________
meat_helmet is offline  
Old 12-17-2008, 02:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!
 
NosBoost300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bellflower, CA
Posts: 10,154
Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300
Default Re: The right power supply

just go ahead and pick up this epower 2 kilowatt psu.. but u need to plug it into 2 different wall sockets that arent on the same line

Newegg.com - ePOWER EP-2000P10-T3 2000W ATX12V Ver.2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

that'll do your computer wonders
__________________
Current Build:
Intel 3770k @ 4.4 GHZ | Galaxy GTX 770 SLi | 16 GB G.Skill Sniper | ASrock z77 Extreme4
2xSamung 840pro 128GB in Raid | 2x1TB Seagate | Antec 750 Watt GamerSeries
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
NosBoost300 is offline  
Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Electical Engineer
 
BongWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: OZ
Posts: 916
Send a message via AIM to BongWizard Send a message via Yahoo to BongWizard
Default Re: The right power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD View Post
Here is a PSU calculator, everyone should bookmark it! eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5
LOL!! that thing says i need a PSU with over 800W... at only 90% load!! lol!

dont trust junk like that... just buy a sensibly sized PSU from a quality company (eg Corsair, PC P&C, Enermax, etc) and you'll be fine... and always give yourself a little room for OCing!
__________________

NZXT Lexa BlackLine w/ Red LEDs | Corsair TX-750 | Gigabyte EP45-DS3P | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.6GHz
2x 2GB Kingston HyperX PC2-6400 @ 960MHz (5-4-4-13) | 3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 761/1129 in CrossFireX w/ Thermaltake DuOrbs | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro



Got a problem?? Click Here before posting!

BongWizard is offline  
Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
DBD
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 333
Default Re: The right power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat_helmet View Post
LOL!!

It even states on that calculator website that: 'The recommended total Power Supply Wattage gives you a general idea on what to look for BUT it is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection! Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important, followed by the +5V amperage and then the +3.3V amperage. ' And your relying on newegg reviews.

Why is that funny? It gives you a ballpark figure of what you should be looking at.

How do YOU calculate the watts for your build? Do you just pull some figures out of thin air or draw straws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat_helmet View Post
You have to realise that this is true, and that you have to be aware of where all the watts from a PSU are going. If most of the watts are going to the 5v and 3.3v then you will be stuffed when trying to add a big graphics card that runs of the 12v rails.

While i agree that you dont need a 600w psu for a single card in the most part, it depends alot more on the brand of psu (ie. a cheapo brand may supply alot less to the 12v rails than a good brand psu of the same wattage.)

Just be aware, there is alot more to it than simply how many watts a psu is rated at.
Ya, I thought that was common knowledge around here.

All I am suggesting is that the rosewill 550 watt will run that rig just fine and just because you drop $100-200 on a PSU doesn't mean it will outlast a $50-80 PSU
__________________
DBD is offline  
Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
meat_helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,119
Default Re: The right power supply

Lol, and it says mine only needs 333W. There is no 333W PSU that would run my system...
__________________

__________________
meat_helmet is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Power supply Guide (2008) Ste New Systems | Building and Buying 223 12-12-2009 09:05 PM
I want a new video card. Silverfury New Systems | Building and Buying 25 04-09-2008 01:05 AM
Dedicated power supply for a graphics card? wencke530 System Upgrades 13 02-23-2008 07:27 PM
Help with my PSU! weezerguy187 New Systems | Building and Buying 22 01-27-2008 04:58 PM
power supply question raverx3m New Systems | Building and Buying 13 07-24-2007 10:24 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.