Is this right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer-dumb

Solid State Member
My dad said if i get a amd 64 ill have to get the windows xp 64bit version to utilize the other 32 bits of a 64bit cpu....is that true? Our not? thanks.

well to fully utilize the chip and all it's capabilities yeah you'd need to...but currently Win64 is crap and the official and completel win64 won't be out for a while

yeah i'm facing the same problem. I am gettin an X2 soon but i've been told Windows 64bit edition dosn't work with some games so i dont really know what i should do.

Nubius said:
mmmm COUGH, guess what the codename for vista is....oh well I'll be damned it's LONGHORN

And we are all using Whitler here as well.

Nobody calls OS's by codewords anymore

Just go with whatever sounds cooler, lol.

Your Dad is right; If you want to fully use the processor, then you'll need a 64-bit operating system. But right now, Windows XP 64-bit is pretty crappy. Add that to how crappy windows usually is and you have why so few people use it. Besides, half the hardware doesn't even have 64-bit drivers yet so...it won't run.

The 64-bit processors will be fully utilized when REAL 64-bit OSes come out like Windows Vista/Longhorn. When buying a 64-bit OS right now, think of it as future proofing your PC since a 32-bit processor won't be able to run 64-bit apps.

Besides...all the high-end chips nowadays are 64bit. Even the Semprons (budget) and Turions (mobile) went to 64 bit.

PZEROFGH said:
mm cough

VISTA
vista sucks. i wont be getting it. i will have xp as long as possible. after all 98 is still around. xp will be here for a looooooong time to come. over at xtremesystems, a few people have the latest beta of vista, and from a fresh install, with nothing else installed, it eats over 500mb of memory. not to mention that it will be limited to opengl 1.4. i think i see what m$ is doing now. the reason they are limiting it to opengl 1.4 is to force game makers to use d3d, thus making gaming on linux and mac nonexistent, and effectively eliminating all competition. it makes me sick. i think what they are also trying to do is make gaming on the pc not as good as on consoles, forcing people to buy the xbox 360. i for one will not be buying vista, or downloading it for that matter :D .

edit:
also forgot to add, that in vista, not only will opengl be limited to 1.4, but it will be emulated through d3d, basicly, taking a big chunk of preformance and quality out of the crippled functionality it will already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom