Rig Upgrade >> Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invisible

MetalHead Techie
Specs are in sig, although only 2gb DDR2 RAM instead of 4. Looking to upgrade for gaming purposes, budget around $300 to $400, was thinking a mobo upgrade then get an i5 and some DDR3? Opinons welcome. I also do audio production and some video editing.

Your going to need more memory but other then that sound pretty good how big is your power supply

What type of video card are you looking to get for it

Clown's option will give you a better boost. Your gpu will still be holding you back otherwise.

Sorry I'm out of the loop, is a quad necessary for gaming nowadays? Also, what would be the performance difference between the intel and AMD? Will a 5770 be a worth $110 or whatever over the 8800gt in terms of performance?

A quad isn't really necessary for gaming nowadays I guess, but it is definitely helpful (bad company 2 uses all four of my cores I believe, cpu runs at 70-80% constant while playing that game). Between intel and AMD...the new Sandy Bridges are quite a bit faster than any AMD of similar price. A 5770 over an 8800gt is difficult...there is a performance increase, but, as you said, I don't know if it's worth that much for that small of an increase...(I have no answer for that :) ).

A quad isn't really necessary for gaming nowadays I guess, but it is definitely helpful (bad company 2 uses all four of my cores I believe, cpu runs at 70-80% constant while playing that game). Between intel and AMD...the new Sandy Bridges are quite a bit faster than any AMD of similar price. A 5770 over an 8800gt is difficult...there is a performance increase, but, as you said, I don't know if it's worth that much for that small of an increase...(I have no answer for that :) ).

#42 to # 27 on the Graphics List, plus the 5770 will overclock to higher. that's a good performance boost for the money. The 5770 is just behind my GTX 260 Core 216.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom