Rig Upgrade Compatibility, BIOS Question
follow up from prior thread - recvd help from Trotter and Roark -- thx....
OK --- so i went ahead with the upgrade; i backed off of a new OS and just went w/ the following from new egg:
**Graphics: SAPPHIRE 100297L Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ATI Eyefinity
**Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400
**CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
Based on feedback; thought it'd be easier and more $ feasible to upgrade my current rig. In short, kept "old reliable" XP, maxd out memory, significantly jumped up in CPU and Graphics card.... all for just $290.00.
* OS: XP Pro SP3 Direct X 9
* Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Ocd 2.63
* Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD
* Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB(2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400
* Graphics: Radeon X1950XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support
* Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface
* Storage: Seagate Barracuda internal 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive and Seagate Pushbutton Backup 250GB External Hard Drive
* DVD/Burner: SAMSUNG 18X DVD▒R With LightScribe Technology Black IDE
* Power: Corsair HX650W
* Tower: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Q: Does anyone see a problem with my upgrade??
Q: Updating my BIOS to 955 --- should i just copy 955 files to an external HD and then update that way or is there an easier way --- does this make sense????
Thx so much for the help and input.