rig for ~1k

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhao9us

Beta member
Hey guys:

I'm thinking of getting a new gaming rig and my budget is around $1000 (canadian, if that matters)

So my question is that I have a quad core Q6700 (2.66GHz) CPU from my old rig, and I was wondering if I should recycle it and use it for my new rig. If I do, will it slow down the performance of my other parts? Other things that I can recycle are my monitor (1680x1050, 22inch), mouse and keyboard.

So I guess what I'm wondering is that what kind of specs am I looking at with this budget, and whether it would be good to reuse my old CPU? My budget is around 1k either way. Also, preference for Intel and nVidia for cpu and gpu respectively.

Yes, it will bottleneck your system. Here's a good Intel/Nvidia gaming rig that'll do great at your resolution.

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K $219.99
Mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $189.99
GPU: Newegg.com - MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $224.99
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH $49.99
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply $89.99
ODD: Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners $18.99
HDD: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $109.99
OS: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems $99.99

Total: $1003.92

I left out a case, since that's your choice. To keep within budget when including a case, you can swap the PSU out for this one:

Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Happy building, and welcome to TF! :thumbsup:

Wow thank for the great info!

Couple of questions tho:
1. psu-will 650W be enough if I OC?
2. Mobo seems kinda pricey, I was wondering why you chose it instead of a cheaper one? With a cheaper mobo I might be able to get an i7 or 570?

Also, do you know a good place/website to sell my old pc?

Thanks again!

650w is enough for overclock.
you can try Craigslist (no sure if thats for Canada aswell) or eBay. If you get 40 posts you can put it up on the buy/sell/trade in the off topic thread., someone may want it.
I would get a 570 rather than an i7 if you get a cheaper mobo as i7 doesn't really help with gaming.
I will let Tj explain his mobo choice.

I'm thinking of getting a new gaming rig and my budget is around $1000 (canadian, if that matters)
Yeah it matters since your prices are a little higher and you usually pay an arm and leg for shipping.

tj's build will certainly work well, if its within your budget.
To help it fit your budget here's a tid-bit from one of our resident Canucks:
patonb said:
Currently, ncix, out of BC and Markhem, has $6 shipping over $50 under 100lbs.

I use ncix as the service is top notch, and the price matching. This means you get the cheaper price from othe shops, but evcerything comes from 1 shop.

Shopbot.ca is a great place to search for deals.
Search items on shopbot.ca then price match them on NCIX, should cut down cost a bit.

I chose that motherboard because it's a good motherboard, and even though I gave you a SB processor with it, it's still worth the extra $30 over a Z68 board, IMHO. It has a Dual UEFI BIOS, and some other nice features. Plus it's a good overclocker. And yes, a 650w PSU is plenty for that build, even with overclocking. If you're reusing the monitor you have now, a 570 won't make much of a difference.

Hi guys:

Thanks for all the great info! You guys are awesome! (Especially hats off to the shopbot tip).

Thanks tj for going through the work of putting together a build for me!

As Roark post, Ncix is a bangup shop, with stores in BC and T.Dot area. They porice match, and have decent shipping.

I buy from ncix, and using shopbot, i can save more than the shipping cost, compared to directcanadas price which offers free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom