Rich Build - Page 7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #61 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by NeedAcpu
Guess you never heard of the 64 bit version of windows.
Not starting a fight, but good luck finding drivers for all your hardware on Windows XP 64. I think for what they are going to use this PC, 2GB RAM is more than enough.

[rant]
Is it just me, or has everybody lost their minds? The fact that they have a 10k budget doesn't mean you have to use all of it. Quad SLI? SCSI HDDs? WHY?! Just build a kick-*ss system, without being stupid or crazy.
[/rant]
__________________

__________________
AMD64 X2 4400+
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
2GB Kingston Hyper-X (2-3-2-6)
TT Big Typhoon
eVGA 7900GT KO Superclocked (650/1650)
250GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA2 HDD
Hiper Type-R 580W SLi PSU
19" Sony Trinitron CRT
magouster is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #62 (permalink)
003
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,312
Default

Why arn't you getting SCSI it would be so much faster than any SATA drive you could get it wouldn't even be funny. A pain to install? You just put the scsi card in the PC and plug the drives into it as you would if they were on the motherboard. How is that a pain? And are you not getting intel because you simply dont want to wait for it, or because you like AMD better? If it's the latter, then thats really stupid. Did you see that andantech benchmark that was posted here yesterday?
__________________

__________________
so, umm, err yeah
003 is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #63 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 543
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by NosBoost300
i'm not saying its wrong, i'm saying if you were to do what a ppu did with just the cpu, the game would horribly lag, way worse than having one

so in reality your increasing performance because the cpu alone can not calculate all those physics alone.. you bring the gpu down a little but bring the cpu up alot
NosBoost have you ever used a physx card or seen one in action? Everytime for ex. in GRAW you blow something up there are more particles to generate yes but there is a second where there is a stutter, its like the fps dorp to 5. yes theoretically the ppu could increase performance but it's memory bandwidth is so small on a pci slot that it can't get information to the gpu fast enough.
__________________
3200+ A64 skt 754
ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe
2x 512mb corsair value
X1800XL 512mb@X1800XT
2x 80g WD SATA
X-FI Platinum
Antec P180b
Running is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #64 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!
 
NosBoost300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bellflower, CA
Posts: 10,154
Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Running
NosBoost have you ever used a physx card or seen one in action? Everytime for ex. in GRAW you blow something up there are more particles to generate yes but there is a second where there is a stutter, its like the fps dorp to 5. yes theoretically the ppu could increase performance but it's memory bandwidth is so small on a pci slot that it can't get information to the gpu fast enough.
is no one understanding what i'm trying to say!!! yes it drops fps! but it would not be possible to have what it could do with our current hardware today... I'm not desagreeing saying it drops fps... a gpu and cpu cannot do it alone, so that means the ppu is increasing the physics performance.. and from what i've read at other forums someones fps only dropped by about 15 with his 7900 gt and a physx processor...

and because its not possible for a cpu to do it (options just not available without it) it just goes to show that its doing something right? something a cpu can't do
__________________
Current Build:
Intel 3770k @ 4.4 GHZ | Galaxy GTX 770 SLi | 16 GB G.Skill Sniper | ASrock z77 Extreme4
2xSamung 840pro 128GB in Raid | 2x1TB Seagate | Antec 750 Watt GamerSeries
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
NosBoost300 is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #65 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,499
Default

but it doesnt increase the f*cking performance!!!! God dam this is p*ssing me off now! Above you have said a gpu and cpu cannot do it alone, yes this is right and thats where the ppu comes in and does the extra eyecandy. So i dont understand how the h*ll you think that its increasing performance. It increases eyecandy! nothing else!

Anyway dont bother going with the ppu idea. ATi are bringing out a new mobo which has 3 pci-e slots. 2 for crossfire or just one card and then the other spare one is for another normal gfx card that acts the same as a ppu. So imagine having 2 x R600 cards with a X900XTX as the ppu. That would be a **** of a lot better for eyecandy and because its 3 gfx cards the performance wont decrease.
Mentali$T is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #66 (permalink)
003
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,312
Default

Without reading your stupid arguements, let me explain what the PhysX card does. It allows a game to process 50,000 physical bones in realtime without causing a drop in performance, but not increasing performance either. A normal CPU or video card can only process about 3,000 bones before the performance starts to go downhill.
__________________
so, umm, err yeah
003 is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #67 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by 003
Without reading your stupid arguements, let me explain what the PhysX card does. It allows a game to process 50,000 physical bones in realtime without causing a drop in performance, but not increasing performance either. A normal CPU or video card can only process about 3,000 bones before the performance starts to go downhill.

Nice Explanation
zeppelinfan2009 is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #68 (permalink)
003
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,312
Default

And to add to that, you might say that even if the physics card does the physics calculations, the video card still has to render the particles, and wouldn't that cause a drop in performance? To answer that, yes, it would. But it would be a very small drop that you would never notice without benchmarking.

And last I read, the PhysX card does not saturate the PCI bus, so bandwidth is not an issue. Even if it was, they do make PCI-e models.
__________________
so, umm, err yeah
003 is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #69 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!
 
NosBoost300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bellflower, CA
Posts: 10,154
Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Mentali$T
but it doesnt increase the f*cking performance!!!! God dam this is p*ssing me off now! Above you have said a gpu and cpu cannot do it alone, yes this is right and thats where the ppu comes in and does the extra eyecandy. So i dont understand how the h*ll you think that its increasing performance. It increases eyecandy! nothing else!

Anyway dont bother going with the ppu idea. ATi are bringing out a new mobo which has 3 pci-e slots. 2 for crossfire or just one card and then the other spare one is for another normal gfx card that acts the same as a ppu. So imagine having 2 x R600 cards with a X900XTX as the ppu. That would be a **** of a lot better for eyecandy and because its 3 gfx cards the performance wont decrease.
how is a x900xtx supposed to calculate physics?
__________________
Current Build:
Intel 3770k @ 4.4 GHZ | Galaxy GTX 770 SLi | 16 GB G.Skill Sniper | ASrock z77 Extreme4
2xSamung 840pro 128GB in Raid | 2x1TB Seagate | Antec 750 Watt GamerSeries
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
NosBoost300 is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #70 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,499
Default

I was reading about it at hard forums but this is about it:

http://www.ati.com/technology/crossfire/index.html
__________________

Mentali$T is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.