review/ suggestions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default review/ suggestions

Hey guys,
I wanna build a pc but there are a few things im stuck on. This computer will be used for audio production/recording but i will also be gaming with it. I will not be overclocking it so please do not suggest items that are cheaper and can be overclocked. And i do realize that AM2 is coming out soon but I dont really care cuz i will not upgrade this machine for a long time. My limit is around $3,000. can go a 100 or 200 over if need be. So far this is what i came up with:

CPU: AMD athlon fx-60

VIDEO: ati radeon x1900xt..... Which brand would you suggest??

RAM: 2gigs of ram but i dont really know which ram is good. so please suggest which ram to get.

HD: 250 gig 7200 rmp western digital

OPTICAL: Any dvd/cd RW combo drive

SOUND: I have the sound card already which is X-FI platinum

MB: Asus A8R mvp Radeon xpress 200... I really dont plan on going crossfire latter. I plan on getting second gen. dx10 card so if you guys can think of a better MB that is good for 1 video card and supports athlon fx/x2 then that would be great

Case: all sugestions welcome. Has to have good airflow and support for alot of fans. I would want to have maybe 5 or 6 fans in total. Im not sure if i want to go water cooling because i heard from a reliable source that when running pro tools ( audio program) its not good to have water cooling..??? Also has to have a few 5.25inch drive bays in the front.

PSU: 600 watts or more. unless you guys think i need more. also please suggest which to get.

Cooling: Fans obviously... which ones though???
I think that covers it all... if there is something i left out or any questions please let me know! I also plan on ordering the parts on Newegg.

Old 03-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I would get a Thermaltake Armor for the Case. It has all the fans you will need.

NEC DVD RW 3550A for optical

Get OCZ or Corsair ram with 2-3-2-5 timings or 2-3-3-5.

Get an NForce 4 SLI chipset or the new Xpress 3200 chipset for the motherboard. The Xpress 200 isn't really good.

You may want to get a 7900GTX once the price drops since its pretty quiet.

The FX 60 isn't really needed. You should just pick up a 4400++ and you can OC it later.

A raptor (for hd) would be a lot faster.

I would also add this sound card:

Old 03-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the info. I still need to know about the PSU. Is it possible to have to soundcards? I still want to keep my xfi but that sound cards looks interesting
Closed Thread