Review of my computer (if wrong section move it please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpixel

Daemon Poster
Well, I have decided top write a review of my computer, along with the changes I will make.

Processor. I got the Core 2 Duo E6420. I got this processor because the price difference between the E6420, and the 6600 were to great for me to buy the 6600. This processor really performs well in programs like CS2, Games and high demanding processes. I notice its doing its job well, when the multiplier is only at like 6 or 7, when using CS2, This shows that the processor, is not at max speed to run a program like Photoshop CS2. This means its doing a good job.

Ram: I got a matched pair of Kingston 2GB 667MHZ DDR2. I have always had Kingston, and have always liked their brand. Also the G-Skill was out of the price range for me. So far it seems that the RAM and processor work great together, when running high end programs. I would have changed my ram to the PC 6400, but I thought my motherboard did not support it.

Motherboard: With my old Compaq(computer), fading, and with the it having limited support for the upgrading of the motherboard I decided I wanted a motherboard that would have lots feature. As SLI is getting bigger, and bigger, I decided to go with the P5NSLI. Although their are many different variants with the P5N series, I decided to stick with this one, even though the chip is a little old, it is stable technology. I also choose this motherboard, because I have not heard bad things about Asus, and their products. On the downside, this motherboard does not support Quad core chips, but it does support Core 2 Duo, so this means I can upgrade my processor, to a higher end Core 2 Duo when ever I feel like it. I wish I would have know that this motherboard supports 800MHZ Ram, because that might boost the systems over all speed. (If my motherboard can not support 800MHZ, please tell me .)

Hard Drive: I went with the 7200RPM SATA Seagate 160GB hard drive. I have not noticed anything bad about it, and this is where Vista is installed, along with other programs. I also have a secondary hard drive (IDE) that has XP. I then can dual boot both operating systems.

Case: I went with a generic case, and unfortuntly it came with a generic power supply. This power supply will have to be upgraded, and I am upgrading it to the Seasonic S12 Energy Plus, 550Watts. The new power supply has a combined amp rating of 42 I believe. The new power supply will be able to run an 8800GTS, and probably a GTX.

DVD Burner: Instead of paying 30 dollars for my DVD burner, I decided to pay 50, for a Pioneer DVD burner. I have bought many things from Pioneer, and have yet to be disappointed. It has worked great so far.

Video Card: I kept my old video card, because I was running out of cash for this build. Within the year though, I hope to have an 8800GTS, either the 320mb, or the 640mb version.

Operating System: For the Operating system, I decided Vista was going to take over one day, and I thought it would be dumb to buy XP, when I have 3 other computers with XP. Vista was a good buy I believe. I purchased the 32bit version, because after reading how bad 64bit XP Professional did, and also reading how much more stuff does not work with 64 bit Vista. I decided to purchase Home Premium, because Ultimate, is just like Premium, except with Business security, and a couple of extras I do not need. Overall, it is a stable Operating System, and I have no problems with it except, for a drive problem that is not Microsoft's fault, it is Nvidia's. Nvidia has yet to release a working driver to stop the "TDR" error happening. Overall, I am really happy with Vista, it has done everything fine, with the exception of play games because f the Nvidia drive problem.

So the Pros and Cons of my new computer

Pros
Dual core processor, instead of a P4.
2GB of ram, compared to my old computer of 768.
Motherboard expandability.
Price is better than your common HP,Dell, Acer, Compaq, Gateway.

Cons

Wimpy power supply, needs to be upgraded.
No quad core support for the Future.
Driver problems with Vista

Your motherboards supports up to DDR2-667 or PC2-5300. This gives a bus clock of 333MHz. Higher ram will work but it will down clock to DDR2-667.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom