request for server build guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevkap

Solid State Member
Ok, I want to build a server but have no idea as to what I need. Here is what I want to do:

I want something expandable, something that I can add drives to as needed.
Some kind of Raid configuration.

I will use the server mostly for video storage/distribution.
The files are:
Archived store bought dvd's (currently need about 2 tb)
Home movies - vhs recorded to hard drive as well as digital video cam to hard drive (currently need about 1 tb)
Pictures (currently about 100 gig) (would like to back up pics from two pc's to this destination, maybe using sync toy or something similar)
Music (CD collection in FLAC format as well as mp3 now since the ipod touch is not supported by JRMC (thanks Apple)) (currently 150gig)

I have an HP Media Center with (2 x 320) SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) as well as (1 X 1tb) SATA 3G drive installed. I could actually raid this pc to take care of the pics and music but would like them all on a network server.

Probably not necessary but I would like to keep the various media types separate (atleast the video separate from the pics and music)

I use SageTv to distribute the video to various tv's throughout the house via SageTv media extenders.
Music is streamed as well via JRMC pluggin for Sage to my home theater and simply through JRMC web server to other pc's using a common library.

Maybe TMI but anyhow any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

You have roughly 3.25TB of (presumably valuable) data so in terms of storage 5-6TB of usable space would be reasonable. You mentioned that you would like to keep the different types of files separate, a very good idea especially if the different file types have different values to you since you will be able to store more replaceable files on RAID arrays with less redundancy for example.
What is your budget for this and do you have any hardware that could go towards it?

i have a couple of old desktop machines but would rather just go new. I am lookin around $1000 to start. as I said i would like it to be expandable. I really would like to be able to get my video files on a server first and could move the others at a later time. I know with raid I will be cutting my storage space since i have to use multiple drives for the same data.

Well cases that can support a large number of drives aren't necessarily too expensive and have the added bonus of supporting inexpensive ATX PSUs. The PSU doesn't have to be massively powerful, a solid 650W with long cables is probably what I would get.
Each RAID card/HBA should support at least 4 drives, preferably 8, less than that and you are wasting a slot. The amount of RAM depends on what applications you are running and what operating system but 4GB is safe and cheap.
I'll suggest some actual components later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom