Replacing Several Parts On My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hordfest

Solid State Member
Hey guys I'm looking to replace my:
-GPU, an aging overheating 4850,
-my PSU, a Rosewill 550w

and to invest in a budget, yet workhorse of a cooler (if such a thing exists, I've never gotten a cooler before) and possibly invest in another 4 gb of RAM, my MoBo only supports DDR-2 but has 4 slots and I'm currently running 4 GB 2x2 G-skill brand.

Other specs:
GA-MA790X-UD4P Gigabyte MoBo,
AMD Athlon(tm) 7750 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

If you guys had a recommendation for a workhouse of a processor that I could get to fit within my budget that would be nice as well.

This station needs to be able to run SW: The Old Republic at high settings, currently it overheats when running it, (i'm a beta tester for it for those of you who realize it's not out yet) and that is what spurred this, but I figured while I was at it I might as well upgrade more. (IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO RESIST UPGRADING ONCE YOU START THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!!)

My budget for this project is $500 tops, although quality and longevity is more important then saving a few bucks.

Any help with builds would be apprecaited, I'm an AMD and ATI radeon type of guy, and my MoBo supports AM2+ and AM3.

To paraphrase, minimum needs are: GPU, PSU, and Cooler

Ideally I would also like to add: 2-4 GB of RAM in 2x2 DDR2 form, a new HD, and potentially a new processor.

Thanks for the help!!! :big_smile:

Heres my 2 cents:
CPU + Cooler: $163 AMD Phenom II X4 965BE + Corsair CAFA70.
GPU: $195 XFX HD 6870.
PSU: $85 Corsair TX650 V2.
Thermal Grease: $7 Tuniq TX-2.

Total = $450, $35 in rebates, not sure what shipping will be.

Still wiggle room in there for more RAM, but it would be good to know what speed your current RAM is.
You can mix different speeds, but the higher one will downclock to the lower one, better to just match.

Also, was it just your CPU that was overheating, or everything?
What case are you using, if you can you might want to add more fans.

*Edit - Also good to know which case so you can be sure the aftermarket cooler will fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom