Replacing Mobo and possibly vid card - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

Default Replacing Mobo and possibly vid card

ive been gone from here for awhile now, and not up to speed on hardware as i use to be.

so im asking for some help.

my current mobo seems to be dieing off, and i would like to replace it.

current board: Biostar Tpower X58A

problems with the board:

started losing overclocking potenial months ago, can no longer clock over 3.5 with my
i7920

audio in/out problems

one or more of the pci slots have gone dead

3 of the 6 ram slots are dead

onboard ethernet port dead(have to use external via usb)

and just this morning, with a fresh boot up, it could not find its own bios, had to try restarting it again and it booted up that time.

so with that said, i would like a decent replacement reccomendation, budget upto $350

edit: i may consider selling the i7920 (maybe $150) and going amd again, i really liked my phenom system i built earlier this year. so also recommend a AMD Board + CPU along side of the intel board, so i can compair prices

and as for a video card, my current 4770 runs fine @ my 1920x1200 resolution, but when i run fraps to record gameplay in games, it really lags, so i think i need an upgrade here too, should i wait for the new nvidia lineup or grab something from the new ATI lineup?

i will also be upgrading to windows 7 with this change.

thanks

edit: just in case my sys specs are needed:

i7920 cpu
biostar Tpower X58A mobo
xfx HD4770 gpu
ocz XMP 1600 DDR3 ram 6GB (3x2)
ocz Fatality 600w psu

Old 12-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Replacing Mobo and possibly vid card

I would rma the board.

As for i7 replacement boards look at the evga and asus boards in your price range.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 12-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH5870/G/2DIS/1GD5/A Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I have no idea on a Phenom setup other than leaving it at the store
Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

With that budget I would just go with one of the 5000 series ATI since im sure the new Nvidia Fermi architecture cards will be crazy expensive.
EVGA GTX 480
OCZ-Vertex SSD
------------------------------
Q6600 (G0) @ Stock
Nvidia 8800GT x2 SLI @ Stock
4GB DDR2-PC6400 @ Stock
500GB Sata + 1TB
Evga 780i
Old 12-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefemeister View Post
I would rma the board.

As for i7 replacement boards look at the evga and asus boards in your price range.
well i would rma it but im slightly against that, the board could be fading because of me so i have decided to take the loss and just not buy from biostar again.

there are a few companies that i will buy from again after recieving a bad product, and biostar is not one of them sadly.

i may go with asus once again, but i really hate their website setup when it comes to finding certain info.

i may go with evga, but if i choose to go with phenom then evga will not be my choice as their amd boards are not up to par i dont think.

edit: after looking at newegg,

for less than $400 i can get a phenom X4 965 + any AMD mobo i want, then i can sell my i7 and only be out $200 or so, i can use that for some nice dual channel DDR3 ram + new CPU cooler

I think ill just go back to AMD
Old 12-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I would still rma it after you get a replacement board. Worst case they say no best case they replace it and you can sell it to some sucker.

Your call.

Here is the PII cpu I would go with.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Sorry bro, that doesn't make much sense. You're downgrading for the sake of going AMD. You can get a decent 1366 board for $200, so cost-wise it'll cost the same. And it won't hurt to try to RMA that biostar board... like hefe said, sell it!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Best choice, RMA the board, get the replacement, sell that board, and still buy a new board.

I really don't recommend PII anymore unless you have an AM2 based rig already or are simply a fanboy (like me), I'd just recommend a a Core i5.
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

well i still have not made up my mind on what i want to do.

as for rma'ing the board, ill reconsider it after i get the replacement.

since i was thinking about building a new pII system, i have upped my budget on the intel board to unlimited budget.

what is the best **** board i can get for my money for reliability, features and single card performance. for the the LGA 1366 platform

as for GPU, would a 5850 be strong enough to play lighter games with Fraps running, 4770's and those comparable do not cut it.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
or
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Unless you are looking for a newer board with SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0. They have not been around too long yet.

Closed Thread