Recording Program Sound Card? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Recording Program Sound Card?

Hey all,
Was here a few months ago when I built my rig, and everything is running great

Now I'm getting pretty into my audio classes, and my integrated sound = not keeping up it seems.

I'm running Reason 3.0, Sonar's Cakewalk, and FL Studio 7. Does anyone have a suggestion for this recording afficionado?

Thanks.
-RM

Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Black (old school fo sho!)
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

I highly suggest the presonus firepod (or firebox depending on how many inputs you want/how much you can spend... though I haven't used the firebox... so I am just assuming that it is basically the same as the firepod). It is a 24bit/96kHz sound card with 8 (or 2 for the firebox) XLR ins/preamps. Also, it comes with Cubase LE... which has rewire capabilities... so it's super easy to sync. up with Reason 3.0.

firepod:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...-LE?sku=184131

firebox:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tem?sku=184133

Delta 1010:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tem?sku=701376

My roomate has the Delta 1010 and likes it a lot. The only reason I didn't go with the Delta 1010 is that to do any kind of multi-tracking, you would have to buy an outboard mixer... which, when you total up the cost of a decent 8 channel mixer + the delta 1010 it is probably going to be more than the firepod. Plus, the firepod is so easy to set up... you just install the drivers and plug it in via a firewire 400 port (I had to buy a PCI firewire card for my comp.... but it was only like $40 for a decent card)

Old 02-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm using the Ozonic M-Audio MIDI keyboard for my input needs at the time, and programming the rest through the software. It seems that my sound can't handle features of the new FL Studio though, so I need an actual card (and not track input, for the time being).

Other suggestions welcome, thanks.

-RM
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Black (old school fo sho!)
Old 02-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Uhh... well... all three of the things I suggested are sound cards (the firepod and firebox are both a 24bit/96kHz sound cards+ XLR inputs/preamps and the Delta 1010 is a sound card with a breakout cable). Really, there are a lot of choices... just go to musiciansfriend or sweetwater and search for "sound card" or possibly "pci sound card". M-audio has a wide variety of quality sound cards.

If I was you I would stay away from "consumer/gamer" sound cards for audio work. Cards like the Creative Audigy are great for listening to music/game audio but probably won't give you the performace you want for serious audio work. When I first started getting into recording I was looking at a lot of these "consumer/gamer" cards. Now, I am soooo glad I waited, did more research, and realised that no Creative Sound Blaster was going to be up to par with the kind of work that I wanted to do... before I wasted my money.

Good luck!
Closed Thread