Recording Computer Build Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looby

In Runtime

for a quad core and multiple (7) fans ? also i need a lot of power for use of my audio recording equipment. i should need that much because i cannot afford to let the voltage drop for even a second. if 1Kw is too big (really?) i would prefer to go with 800Watt just to be safe (if power drops i get latency and pops clicks and all kinds of unacceptable ****) also i will be running XP pro and i believe i understand that xp cannot read 4GB of RAM but... it can read like 3.34GB? correct i think im just pulling #s out of my butt i cant remember but i need as much ram as possible

I'd look at other motherboards.

Definitely look at other power supplies. Yours is huge overkill.

I've never seen those RE2 500GB drives, they seem to be better than the SE16 ones though. I was actually planning on building a system with 5x SE16 drives in a RAID5, but if those RE2 ones are better... I'll have to look into that.

What exactly are you recording?

24 tracks of live audio + up to around 129-221(highest ive done yet... :)) channels of loops and synth effects also each of those 24 tracks and most of the other channels need EQ, Compressors, Delay, Reverb and on and on. each of these effects are taxing as **** on a Processor. i can run about 7-10 at a time on my 2.4Ghz PC and then i get pops and stuff so this needs to be a beast of a computer im not

Well, in all honesty, that's the first PSU I've seen with four 12v rails. What are you plugging into it that you think you'd need so much power?

(I'm not a PSU expert, just curious)

well i honestly have no use for the rails (isnt that just for graphics cards?) but i will have probably 10 HDDs in there about 4-5 CD burners (didnt list those need good quality lightscribe or professional print burners) uh... firewire cards (onboard is usless to me) havent bought those yet but i found some with dedicated power to the ports from the PSU which will be used to run midi conrolers interfaces outboard synchable gear and all that so idk if i need that much power but i just know if power drops off for a sec then i have to start over and clients dont like that...

also i know the BFG is fairly quiet which is a must how quiet is the corsair and warranty i REALLY like lifetime warranty

well i honestly have no use for the rails (isnt that just for graphics cards?) but i will have probably 10 HDDs in there about 4-5 CD burners (didnt list those need good quality lightscribe or professional print burners) uh... firewire cards (onboard is usless to me) havent bought those yet but i found some with dedicated power to the ports from the PSU which will be used to run midi conrolers interfaces outboard synchable gear and all that so idk if i need that much power but i just know if power drops off for a sec then i have to start over and clients dont like that...

also i know the BFG is fairly quiet which is a must how quiet is the corsair and warranty i REALLY like lifetime warranty

I'm not an expert, you'll have to have Sora or someone else come help you on the PSU, but if I remember right, SATA3.0 uses the +3.3v, +5v, and +12v rails, so you'll need them all. If you need 5x (sata) optical drives, and 10x (sata) HDDs, then you might want to focus on a more balanced power supply, where the one you picked is more heavy on the +12v rails.

No, everyone uses "rails" regardless. Graphics cards and CPU's all run their watt's on the 12v rails while each HDD and optical drive use about one @ on the 12v and then some of the other rails.

The Corsair 620HX has one large 50@ rail and this will be plenty enough to handle anything you have to throw out it. as stated fans only use about 3-5w on the 5v I believe so don't worry it's fine really.

You don't need a 1K PSU. Go with the 620HX from zipzoomfly.com

that should be more than enough

EDIT: I figured I would say that the only difference from most 650w PSU's and 1K watt PSU's is the amount of amps on the 12v rails. Most PSU's only have around 170-180 w's on the 3 and 5v rails and then tons on the other rails. Since don't need as much on the 12v's this is why you don't have to worry. All things use "rails"....how else is the power transfered? it justr depends on which voltage your equipment needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom