Recommendations for top end Intel families

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephfuentes

Solid State Member
I'm considering a new all powerful desktop and my platform decision will depend on the horsepower provided by the manufacturer's product.

Before I start I do not build my own PCs. I also am not a gamer. Well, the only game I ever play is solitaire. I only crave speed and power in whatever application I throw at my desktop. Photo graphics editing, movie making, burning, ripping DVDs etc.

Having said that I hear the within the Intel family of processors these are the tops.
- Xeon
- Extreme
- Penryn

Which is the top of the line? For instance, I understand that the Xeon is used in corp. servers. The Extreme in gaming etc. But overall, which is the top performer which brings me to my next question. What does top performer mean? Best rendering, highest numerical ops per sec, fastest DVD burning, what is the yardstick?

And of course I realize that a quad core will beat out a dual core anyday. I'm looking at the processor line itself. Help!

Xeon is for servers, correct, Extreme simply mean they have an unlocked multiplier which means they are more easily overclocked. Penyrn doesnt really fit in there, for instance you can have a Yorksfield Extreme edition chip. Its like apples and oranges. And Quads will be much better for applications yes.

I would go with something like a Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz for around $500-600, and even though your not a gamer, i could recommend an Nvidia GTX260 or 4850. I reccomend the 260 because you will be able to use it to convert movie files etc faster than your quad core ever could.

HiDef Computers.
hidefcomputers.net is the official link, but in some parts of the world it is not yet active.

That's a temporary link (im getting a proper URL soon) to my website, goto Performance systems then look at the OmegaGTS computers. I could drop the price for you by changing the video card to the 260 instead of what is listed.

On Monday there will be price cut for Intel processors

The Q9550 is supposed to drop to around $340

Some of the processors at newegg has already dropped in price

You can now get E8500 with free world in conflict game for $209.99

The price of E8500 was $269.99

Figures... I just ordered an E8400 last week and it just went down $10... Insignificant amount but it's sill something.

lol i want to get a new rig but not sure when to get it. i know new cpus comin out q4 buti want it for clear sky end of next month. but if the 9550 drops to a good price might pick it up.

why doesn't exteme and penryn fit together? also what model number is the penryn. is it the intel P series?

what about itanium. does that beat all? what is the perf benchmark to say one is better than the other? teraflops comparison? 3D image rendering? ripping/burning DVDs?

why doesn't exteme and penryn fit together? also what model number is the penryn. is it the intel P series?

Penryn is the QX9xxx and Q9xxx series of quads, the E8xxx, E7xxx, and the upcoming E5xxx series of dual cores. There are extreme edition processors based off the penryn architecture like the Qx9650 and Qx9770.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom