Recommendations for CAD modeling high end comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

In Runtime
I want to build a computer to do three and four dimensional CAD Modeling for prototypes for scramjets and nuclear powered spacecraft. I prefer to spend $2K (just the box; never mind the monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.) but am willing to go as high as $3k if there's something particular that could benefit my purpose. I'll wait until November so I can get the DX11 GTX 300 graphics card. Any suggestions?

edit: also that quatro will be fine for the next few years, the DX11 cards will take a while to get to the pro market and will most likely be extremely expensive.

Newegg.ca - PNY VCQFX3800-PCIE-PB Quadro FX3800 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Workstation Video Card - Workstation Graphics / Video Cards

The reviews for that card both say they had problems with the dual display ports...That's unfortunate since the ATI models don't appear to support dual displays, and in Canada the next one up is the 4GB $3K card which is out of my range. (But if I could afford that, would the setup you posted need any changes?)

dont listen to newegg reviewers. they probly bought the card to game on. the fx 3800 is essentally a GTX 260 core 192 with a 256bit bus and 1GB of ram. that will be a great card for cad, for a good while too.

and no you would not need to change any thing if you could afford the fx 5800

Or you can look into getting a gaming card and modding it to a FX, or FirePro. I have heard mixed results but apparently it works properly for HD4870s. It basically requires modding the drivers and installing them, no actual physical mods. I think ATI cards have better luck with this, but look around for it if your interested.

Otherwise philbars build is quite good.

A gaming card would just distract me from my work...although meat helmet if you've gone more bang for buck by modifying gaming cards for CAD then I'd consider that...

I'd just like to verify about the case- I've never built a computer before, so I know nothing about cases- Philbar didn't indicate that it would matter much, but I want to make sure everything's going to fit- would this one work?

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Newegg.ca - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

None yet. I've just been studying physics and engineering with my Core 2 duo laptop, and I'm now at the point where I want to build things. I'll probably start out with FreeCAD, Then I'll move on to what seems to be the industry standard for this sort of thing, Autodesk Inventor, but I'd also like to experiment with Siemens NX, CATIA, and Solidworks before deciding to buy any software.

A gaming card would just distract me from my work...although meat helmet if you've gone more bang for buck by modifying gaming cards for CAD then I'd consider that...

I'd just like to verify about the case- I've never built a computer before, so I know nothing about cases- Philbar didn't indicate that it would matter much, but I want to make sure everything's going to fit- would this one work?

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Newegg.ca - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

yes, that case would work fine. it's one of my favorite cases :D

and as far as modding a gaming card to a workstation card, i dont know about the ati cards, but for nvidia it's pretty much impossible to get proper results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom