Rec./Best HDD... HGST?

I also have had issues with the Seagate drives vibrating, loud enough to the point of mistaking it for a noisy fan. Seagates support is good in their response time and cross shipping, but their replacement drives are dismal at best. They take old noisy drives, repackage them and ship them out again. I went through warranty several times on just one drive and the drives that Seagate RMA'd were worse that the original drive I sent in. I never did get a drive that was right, I just got sick of shipping drives and stuck the noisy(er) drive into an external enclosure.
The Backblaze story might not be as accurate as they stated, but Tweak Town report neglected to say that all drives suffered all the same, I do not see any indication that Backblaze would single out Seagate just to drag Seagate sales down.
I too have had problems with the newer Seagate drives before the Backblaze blog was posted.
Today with SSD prices dropping to below $200. for 500gb and the trend bieng that this tumble will continue, we may no longer need to discuss spindle drives in the near future. Samsung's 3D chip technology is supposed to be a break through in SSD sizes and prices, and other manufactures will follow

Last edited:
Anybody with a brain won't buy based on that information, so I doubt its done anything to the sales.

The last 8 Seagate drives I got were actually sent from Seagate through an "RMA" of sorts with a friend. I do not suffer these vibration issues you describe so it makes me actually wonder if it's the particular case you're using causing this problem with the way they may spin rather than the drives themselves. But I think we've already discussed that and I do believe after my Google and posting of links you're pretty much a standalone case. In regards to the Backblaze article in itself, the TweakTown article proves my side of the argument that their testing methodology is purely idiotic and that they purposely went to find cheap drives, and cheaper drives after the "flood" problem. For all we know all the Seagate drives they got were used or refurbs (which I believe another article confirmed refurbs) which caused them to die easily under the bad environment and practices of Backblaze. Or as the article also brushes on, they could have been paid. In the end we will never know the full story, but the point to be had out of all that is nobody should link or reference Backblaze as their **** is rubbish and will not accurately show anybody what to expect when buying any brand of drive NEW and use it properly.

To SSDs, I agree and I'm glad. Sick of slow ass HDDs and I'll be even happier with large companies like HP, Dell, and Lenovo start selling only flash based media to switch over larger companies like where I work.

There's a nice write up in April's issue of Maximum PC on the SSD and M.2 drives. It looks like this will be the year that the manufactures will finally get it together and we can satisfy our wet dreams of a good M.2 with NVMe support and does away with antiquated AHCI... looking awesome in the future

FYI: I put these drives in several cases, when I contacted Seagate about this noise, there best solution was to "try" to screw them in place inside the case....FAIL

Last edited:
My brand new Phanteks is tool-less but I still screwed in my second boot drive to the bracket. I've always done that, including with customer/friend rigs.

I have 4 drives in my CM HAF 932, I had to remove each drive one at a time to find it, and that was after I eliminated everything else like the PSU and fans. I also have a Dell E510, that's kinda tool-less too but the Rosewill Challenger has the option of tool-less or screw in. This Seagate drive vibrates in all three cases

makes no difference....it's still noisy even in the external enclosure, but I only use that for back ups and it's off most of the time. This is the RMA'd drive(3rd) I got from Seagate, the original drive wasn't as bad. It acts like the platters are out of balance. Still works but annoying

Back
Top Bottom