Rearranging and changing hard drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you upgrade the motherboard, Windows recognises the computer as a different system (because it is). Depending on what key(/license) you have, it may or may not allow you to use that key.

It depends on if you have an OEM or a Retail key. With an OEM key, you can only use it on one system and that's that. But with a Retail key, as long as you completely uninstall Windows from the previous system, you're fine to use it on a new system. You occasionally need to use phone reactivation.

Hey,

I'm also looking at getting an SSD for OS. I read this following review of an SDD drives and was wondering whether it was correct and if you could just explain what he's talking about?

"Speed over capacity
Pros: Fast, silent! The incredible IO's this drive can handle coupled with the fraction-of-a-second access speeds to anywhere on the disk makes heavy multitasking a breeze. Win7 starts in roughly half the time it used to and can open multiple demanding apps without delays typical of mechanical disks.
Cons: 60Gb doesn't go far. Wouldn't recommend for someone who is not confident in altering a few Win7 services to keep the drive running for longer. Each sector on the drive can only be written to ~10,000 times before it's unusable therefore windows page files and such need to be put elsewhere.
Other Thoughts: Worth googling for info on how to fine tune Windows 7 in particular to get the best life and usage from the drive as Windows is traditionally written towards caching and buffering large amounts of data for quick access - which is no longer required with a drive like this."

So I was just wondering if SSD's do need fine tuning for longer use and if it is much work?

Actually I'm curious as to the answer to that as well, if anyone in-the-know would like to answer :)

That's interesting. Haven't really looked into how operating systems work, but if what that poster said is true, then I guess I'll be looking around for an OS tweaking utility.

The reviewer is correct that the MLC cells on a SSD have limited writes but they are wrong about needing to manage that yourself. AFIK all good SSD controllers handle the wear leveling internally so no tweaks to the os would have any impact.

I purchased a Kingston V 64GB SSD. Can that handle wear and will it not suffer performance degradation? Everything I google is like over a year old, and I know things have changed with SSDs since a year ago.

you would have to spend hours on the phone with microsoft convincing them that it is infact the "same" computer

Got both the 1TB and the Kingston in the mail. Moving the files off of my 250gig at the moment and I'll be installing the SSD later tonight. Hope the Windows license thing isn't an issue.

Just to update everyone. Speeds compared to my old hard drive are insane. Microsoft word takes an instant to open up. Powering the system up is very fast as well, beyond what I thought it would be. Takes a little getting used to memory-managing, but hey I'll deal with it. The 1tb is stinkin fast too from what I'm coming from. I did the crystaldiskmark tests, but I don't have a screenie or anything. If anyone wants me to upload a screenshot, I'd be more than happy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom