Is this really needed? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to meefle
Default Is this really needed?

My cousin wants to build a computer, a gamin one but he wants a pentium d instead of an althon x2. He doesnt want AMD just because they dont support DDR2 RAM. What i want to kno, is DDR2 ram much faster than DDR?

He also thinks (like alot of other people) AMD is slower just because of their clock speed. I tried to explain to him how AMD processes more things at once but has a slower clock speed. He didnt get it. So i put it into different terms (just makin sure i have it right too) i told him picture AMD = Hummer and Intel = a dodge with a hemi, THe hummer will be more powerful and will be able to do more than the dodge but the dodge will be faster. Correct?

*G.Skill 1GB DDR 400
*Kingwin Mutant X Series
*HP IDE Lightscribe DVD Burner
*Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA II
*Maxtor 80GB IDE
*OCZ Gamexstream 600W PSU
Old 01-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Tell him to wait a little bit until the new AMD socket comes out that can use DDR2. I think it comes out in Q2.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Is this really needed?

Quote:
Originally posted by meefle
My cousin wants to build a computer, a gamin one but he wants a pentium d instead of an althon x2. He doesnt want AMD just because they dont support DDR2 RAM. What i want to kno, is DDR2 ram much faster than DDR?

He also thinks (like alot of other people) AMD is slower just because of their clock speed. I tried to explain to him how AMD processes more things at once but has a slower clock speed. He didnt get it. So i put it into different terms (just makin sure i have it right too) i told him picture AMD = Hummer and Intel = a dodge with a hemi, THe hummer will be more powerful and will be able to do more than the dodge but the dodge will be faster. Correct?
No.

3200+ = amd 3.2GHz

The AMD is faster all the way.