Ready to Buy, last minute advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toryn

In Runtime
paaarts.jpg

Thats the parts list, only buying the components now, waiting to see if I can get the speakers and monitor cheaper abroad.

I was offered Thermaltake Armor for £100 from a friend. Was just wondering if this is a good deal (heard mixed reports about tt WC'ing products but apparently hes had no problems), and would it be possible to add a GPU block to the loop or would that make it very inefficient? My choice for air cooling would be:

Case - thermalright shark
heatsink - thermalright ultra 120 extreme
fan - Scythe S-flex 12krpm.

which would run me about £130.

Looking to keep the Q6600 cool at around 3.2-4 (can the tt handle it at .6? I hear much about the quad cores pumping out heat).

£800 budget but if I can save, I'll want to.

lastly, are the 7.1 cards/speakers worth it or are they pointless? Baring in mind I have a razer barracuda headset which is also 7.1.

Looks like a good buy to me, but a 500GB thats alot of space, but at a cheap price. Depends what you are going to do really, i would look for one about 300Gb, but i doubt you will be able to find one with a nice cache "32mb" like you have, but could save yourself £20 or so. O yea sometimes people often, only often thou, tend to buy a keyboard aswel:) Have you thought about an operating system and its cost, an OEM version will be cheaper.:)

EDIT:: really nice case:)

Hey toryn

My current build is somewhat similiar to yours.

Drop the sound card if your on a budget. That motherboard has onboard sound and it looks decent enough.

That's a nice case but there are cheaper ones avaliable that would be acceptable for your needs.

The case is coming with its WC system too. Keyboard I've got, and I really do use 500GB worryingly fast.

Oh oops forgot to mention, I get pretty much all the software I need through the Microsoft Alliance, being a tech student is good. (Vista/XP, Office, .Net studio etc etc free :D)

Yeah I'm not sure about the soundcard either, I just figured I have a 7.1 headset, and I'll be getting 7.1 speakers so might aswell.

Build looks good!

I'd go with XP.

You could lost the Soundcard and speakers! its really up to you though. I'm not a big bothered-about-sound kind of person, though. The same with the mouse.

Otherwise looks really good!

The onboard 7.1 is actually pretty good on the ds3r. I use the onboard sound on mine for my media pc and its much better than my old dvd players output was. The TRUE will easily let you get to 3.6ghz without the hassle of watercooling.

Oh one other thing. You might want to look into getting an x38 board so you can add a 2nd 3870 down the line if you need more graphics power, but if you plan on sticking to a single card, that board is great.

I am thinking only single cards, and now very interested in the rev2 GTS that vaanish pointed out, didn't notice that they were back in stock.

Seems to be a pretty resounding no on the WC'ing :p and with the shark being out of stock, would the Antec P182 be a good choice?

And I didn't realise the board had 7.1 onboard, thanks for pointing it out.

was a 3870XT but yeah that doesn't matter now.

If I buy the P182 and a tuniq tower 120, and chuck the soundcard and speakers, I can afford the 8800GTS OC rev2. New parts list looking like this:

paaaaaaarts.jpg

MX-2 is out of stock but AS5 is almost as good.

Totaling £787 with free shipping.

*Edit* Ignore the fan, evidently I missed the "X" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom