Rate and review my budget (under 1k) gaming PC (about to purchase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mafty

Solid State Member
Alright, looking to get a good gaming machine going for under 1k

Ive priced out one and have it sitting at exactly 1k with tax and shipping and all the promo codes. Let me know what you guys think of the build and if it could be improved in any way.

antec case:
Newegg.ca - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

OCZ 550w PSU:
Newegg.ca - OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE:
Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

ASUS AM3 AMD 785G (has ddr3, USB2, 2 PCIe):
Newegg.ca - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Saphire HD5770 1gb:
Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VX-2L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Samsung 1Tb SATA 3, 32mb cache:
Newegg.ca - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Liteon 24/16 cd/dvd:
Newegg.ca - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

G Skill Ripjaw 2x2GB (4gb) ram 1333:
Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL

Windows 7 64 Bit

Logitech G15 keyboard
Logitech MX 518 mouse

So its everything but a moniter, which I have a 22" samsung. A lot of the pieces choosen were because of promos (mobo, HDD) which help keep the costs down. the total before tax and shipping is 930, and 1k with tax and shipping (cnd)

the antec 300 is a garbage case, get anyone of these, they are cheaper and better:

NZXT gamma:
Newegg.com - NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

NZXT M59
Newegg.com - NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Rosewill challenger
Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

my favorite of the 3 is the NZXT gamma, it has great cable manament, awesome airflow ( especially if you put fans in all the optional fan spots ) i love the look, bottom mounted powersupply, black interior, super quite, its just an awesome case for the money.

you know what, thats a crap build, this is better for the same money:

this will DESTROY your build, like, eat it for dinner with a smile on its face:
this will play any game at high settings ( not to be confused with " highest " ) at 1920x1080 respectably

Case + HDD: $80
NZXT Gamma + Seagate Barradcude 500gig
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514452

Motherboard + processor: $300
i5 760 + ASUS P7P55 LX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.519653

PSU + Ram: $187
Corsair 750W + G.Skill 4gb 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514379

GPU: $259
MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 5850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127500&cm_re=5850-_-14-127-500-_-Product

Optic Drive: $20
DVD burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...151192&cm_re=DVDburner-_-27-151-192-_-Product

Total: $846

its also more money......my 900 dollars includes the windows 7, logitech keyboard, logitech mouse. not to discredit you, but that antec case has 550 reviews, 450 of which gave it 5/5. Comes with 4 fans, looks good, and is cheap. I dont see how it can be crap if 450 people gave it 5/5 and i read a lot of the reviews.....

Appreciate the advice though.....not sure if intel is the route I want to go, seems like a lot more money for similar performance AMD can offer. The phenom X2 555 is 3.2ghz and can be unlocked for quad core and is less than half the price.

the graphics card is obviously substantially better that you listed. My build without the mouse, keyboard, and windows is $650 dollars.....$200 dollars LESS than the build you posted. So obviously for the extra $200 it should be better. But I need all those things, which has to be incorporated into the overall price.

One thing ive noticed is your on the Canadian site. So prices are going to be a bit steeper anyways. The i5 760 at 3.2ghz would stomp the crap outa the 555 even unlocked so yes, the performance difference is worth the price. Problem is though, since you want a new keyboard mouse and Windows 7 copy it makes things difficult hardware wise.

First of all you can't compare processors only by their clock frequency, the architecture has a big role. The i5 960 will destroy the one you picked up, and it's not certain that you can unlock the two extra cores successfully.

First of all you can't compare processors only by their clock frequency, the architecture has a big role. The i5 960 will destroy the one you picked up, and it's not certain that you can unlock the two extra cores successfully.

he listed 760, not 960.

The price difference between the two is quite staggering though.....100 dollars compared to 200....

One thing ive noticed is your on the Canadian site. So prices are going to be a bit steeper anyways. The i5 760 at 3.2ghz would stomp the crap outa the 555 even unlocked so yes, the performance difference is worth the price. Problem is though, since you want a new keyboard mouse and Windows 7 copy it makes things difficult hardware wise.

Yes the prices are a bit higher on the canadian site, not by much though, its quite similar. the 760 is 2.8ghz not 3.2?

And I do need the keyboard, mouse, windows 7, as this is a new computer (aside from a moniter).

Anyways, what if I were to drop the x2 555 and up it to the x4 955 black edition. its 50 dollars more, but the quad core at 3.2ghz.

I meant the i5 760, sorry. And the difference in price is quite big between both but so it is the performance.

he listed 760, not 960.

The price difference between the two is quite staggering though.....100 dollars compared to 200....

Yes the prices are a bit higher on the canadian site, not by much though, its quite similar. the 760 is 2.8ghz not 3.2?

And I do need the keyboard, mouse, windows 7, as this is a new computer (aside from a moniter).

Anyways, what if I were to drop the x2 555 and up it to the x4 955 black edition. its 50 dollars more, but the quad core at 3.2ghz.

Well i went from a 955BE at 4ghz to this i5 750 over a year ago and trust me, the price difference is there for a reason. My old i3 can even outperform my 940BE in my server in games as well and thats a dual against a quad.
If you where to get a 955 instead that would be a better choice if you can afford it. You cant always rely on things being unlocked because if it cant then you got your hopes up over nothing.

As for mouse and keyboard well im kinda scratching my head on how youd have a monitor but no mouse and keyboard. Pardon me for being curious.

Well i went from a 955BE at 4ghz to this i5 750 over a year ago and trust me, the price difference is there for a reason. My old i3 can even outperform my 940BE in my server in games as well and thats a dual against a quad.
If you where to get a 955 instead that would be a better choice if you can afford it. You cant always rely on things being unlocked because if it cant then you got your hopes up over nothing.

As for mouse and keyboard well im kinda scratching my head on how youd have a monitor but no mouse and keyboard. Pardon me for being curious.

My dad has about a 2 year old 22" samsung moniter that he replaced with a newer samsung because he thought the moniter wasnt working properly (it was flickering) but it turned out to be the graphics card, so the moniter is perfectly fine. But now we have an extra one.

I can look into the i5 750.....I feel the price might start climbing steadliy if I go down this route though. Aside from the CPU, are there any other changes you would make (what mobo would you recommend for that cpu). Would I need to up the PSU from 550 as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom