Rate My Setup Please - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
y2adre's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 259
Default Rate My Setup Please

Amd FX 6100 Black edition Processor
Micro Center - AMD FX 6100 Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core Socket AM3+ Boxed Processor 921304

970 Extreme3 Socket AM3+ 970 ATX AMD Motherboard
Micro Center - ASRock 970 Extreme3 Socket AM3+ 970 ATX AMD Motherboard 212084

Antec KUHLER H2O 620 Water Cooling System
Micro Center - Antec KUHLER H2O 620 Water Cooling System 77085

Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

XMS3 Series 8GB DDR3-1333
Micro Center - Corsair XMS3 Series 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) CMX8GX3M2A1333C

Diablotek UL Series 575 Watt ATX Power Supply
Micro Center - Diablotek UL Series 575 Watt ATX Power Supply PSUL575
__________________

y2adre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
GhOsT1321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 804
Default Re: Rate My Setup Please

4/10
Awful power supply, and I would have gotten higher speed RAM.
PSU aside, this seems like a decent lower mid range gaming computer.
__________________

__________________
Build to be updated, a reminder to myself.
GhOsT1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Hayden13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 75
Send a message via AIM to Hayden13
Default Re: Rate My Setup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT1321 View Post
4/10
Awful power supply, and I would have gotten higher speed RAM.
PSU aside, this seems like a decent lower mid range gaming computer.
If THAT is a 4/10 than mine's in the negatives haha... oh I need a new computer
__________________
CyberPower Build
Windows 7 Home Premium x64-Bit
AMD FX-8150 3.60 GHz Eight-Core 8MB L2 Cache
8.00 GB RAM DDR3/1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560 ti 2Gb
Highest Download & Upload Speed
Hayden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just Epic.
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London
Posts: 579
Default Re: Rate My Setup Please

It would depend on the scale. What do you want to do with this build? And what is your budget? or have you already got it?

But yeah, at least get a better PSU (brand) and 1600mhz RAM if you want to improve it.

and lol Hayden.
Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: Rate My Setup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden13 View Post
If THAT is a 4/10 than mine's in the negatives haha... oh I need a new computer
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. You have to look at it this way, if he is building it now it would be a 4/10 because for a bit more money he could have a whole lot more. Your laptop on the other hand if bought around the 2006 or 2007 era would have been more like an 8 disregarding the IGP.

To the OP, if you are buying this now or plan to, I would seriously reconsider the PSU and RAM. 1600mhz for the minimum on AMD and a Corsair, Antec, Thermaltake, or Silverstone PSU.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
y2adre's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 259
Default Re: Rate My Setup Please

PSU I got for 20 at microcenter on sale, the video card I got off craigslist for 50.00 like 2 months ago, and the memory I got for 10.00 off craigslist. The proc, mobo, and heatsink is the only money I really put out. Not bad for what I paid to build it. Plus got the case and led lighting for 30.00.
y2adre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: Rate My Setup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2adre View Post
PSU I got for 20 at microcenter on sale, the video card I got off craigslist for 50.00 like 2 months ago, and the memory I got for 10.00 off craigslist. The proc, mobo, and heatsink is the only money I really put out. Not bad for what I paid to build it. Plus got the case and led lighting for 30.00.
It was 20 dollars for a reason. You need to upgrade that asap. The rest is fine for a cheap used based computer, but that PSU has to go. Reason we all say this is because when a CPU dies, it goes and you replace it. If your PSU goes it is a 50/50 gamble whether it will simply not turn on anymore, or go with a bang from bad components and send a surge through your whole system. Then you spend the next few months figuring out what your PSU took with it. If that happens, it's best to replace the whole lot because even if something survives it could have minor problems that could lead to crashing and constant instability.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
y2adre's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 259
Default Re: Rate My Setup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
It was 20 dollars for a reason. You need to upgrade that asap. The rest is fine for a cheap used based computer, but that PSU has to go. Reason we all say this is because when a CPU dies, it goes and you replace it. If your PSU goes it is a 50/50 gamble whether it will simply not turn on anymore, or go with a bang from bad components and send a surge through your whole system. Then you spend the next few months figuring out what your PSU took with it. If that happens, it's best to replace the whole lot because even if something survives it could have minor problems that could lead to crashing and constant instability.


I def appreciate the advice, I am not a noob when it comes to building just very economic since I have a big mtg and 2 kids and a wife. What's a good brand Powersupply, I want to upgrade it to min 750 due to the fact I am getting another 5770 pretty soon for crossfire.
y2adre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: Rate My Setup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2adre View Post
I def appreciate the advice, I am not a noob when it comes to building just very economic since I have a big mtg and 2 kids and a wife. What's a good brand Powersupply, I want to upgrade it to min 750 due to the fact I am getting another 5770 pretty soon for crossfire.
5770 cards don't take that much wattage. When I reviewed mine in Crossfire under my 1000w the wattage meter said 622w total with an i5 750 at stock (cards stock). Good brand would be Corsair, Thermaltake (tough power), or Antec. Not calling you a noob, just wanted to make sure you knew what could happen. I try to make it a point to anybody on here, don't skimp on the PSU. I understand the wife and kids thing too as I also have my own (fiance).
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
y2adre's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 259
Default Re: Rate My Setup Please

Thanks again PP, This is the second thing you've helped me with in a month.
__________________

y2adre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rate my setup. (gaming comp) pnoyboldstar New Systems | Building and Buying 6 01-13-2006 12:16 PM
First Timer - Rate my proposed setup :) iamkoza New Systems | Building and Buying 5 12-04-2005 01:38 PM
Please rate this setup! Igetshockedalot New Systems | Building and Buying 16 08-19-2005 08:13 PM
Please Rate My Computer Setup darkknight206 Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 6 06-20-2005 11:19 PM
Rate my setup! mrkbik Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 15 07-10-2004 09:16 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.