Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsbadger15

Solid State Member
hi,

noob here.
web designer & developer so actual PC hardware isnt 'really' my thing, but quite important to me for optimised working environment!

just bought a new custom made PC, here's the spec:

Windows 7 Professional (x64) (build 7600)

SYSTEM:
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58-USB3
Enclosure Type: Desktop

PROCESSOR:
3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i7 950
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
8192 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

MCB:
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58-USB3
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F2 08/24/2010

DRIVES:
999.98 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
785.29 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

MEMORY:
10240 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'A2' has 4096 MB
Slot 'A4' has 4096 MB

LOCAL DRIVES:
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 500.00 GB 433.52 GB free
e: (FAT32 on drive 1) 499.98 GB 351.77 GB free

DISPLAY:
NVIDIA GeForce 210 [Display adapter]
AOC 2436 [Monitor] (23.4"vis)

CONTROLLERS:
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26
Intel(R) ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20

DISPLAY:
NVIDIA GeForce 210 [Display adapter]
AOC 2436 [Monitor] (23.4"vis, s/n AKMA3HA002465, March 2010)

MULTIMEDIA:
NVIDIA High Definition Audio (4x)
Realtek High Definition Audio

BUS ADAPTORS:
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3C
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A34
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A35
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A36
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A37
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A38
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A39
NEC Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller

what's your impressions? what would you value it at?
so far, i've realised the graphics card is bottom end, so i'll be upgrading that next. any other recomendations?

Recommendations:

SSD. If you have the cash for it, go with a RevoDrive or RevoDrive X2 for completely insane speeds.

Graphics card. Even if you don't game it is insulting to the i7 950 to be parked behind a 210.

RAM. Get a matching set (6GB would be plenty, BTW) or just replace the 3GB stick with a mate to the 2x4GB sticks.

CPU cooler. Go with a Noctura or a H70,

Case. Get a case with great airflow to facilitate better temps and prolong component lifespans. The HAF line is really good (upper end).

Hi rsbadger15,

Yeah, the graphics card definitely needs an upgrade. And I agree with Trotter for the RAM.

Your computer looks pretty good though. Some of those components are way better than what I have at the moment. : )

I rated it as Middle but it's really bordering on low. You need a better video card and your ram setup is a disaster. Right now your memory controller is running in single channel mode because of the mixing of memory sticks. If you remove the 2GB (2048MB) stick the memory controller will operate in Dual Channel Mode which will improve your performance. If you remove the 2GB (2048MB) stick and replace it with another matching stick of 4GB (4096MB) the memory controller will operate in Triple Channel Mode, which is even better.

thanks for the feedback!
how should i setup my RAM?
should i just take the 2GB out completely and run with 8GB in dual mode?
which slots should i put each stick in?

not sure i can afford the SSD! but i'll bear it in mind.

any any suggestions on a good video card?
it needs to be good but cheap basically, as im not a hardcore gamer so just something to compliment the i7!

i've got to admit, its quick, but not as quick as i was expecting. im not sure if its running cirrectly....

also, what would you value it at?
i think i got a SERIOUS bargain but would like to see what you say before i reveal!

For now I would remove the 2GB stick and run it in Dual Channel mode. But I would buy another 4GB stick for Triple Channel Mode. To ensure compatibility you should buy a matching stick (speed in MHz, latencies and Voltage requirement). To ensure Maximum Compatibility you should buy a 4GB stick from the same manufacturer with the same part number.

Look at page 16 in your motherboard manual for the proper slots to use for Dual Channel Mode
(you can download the manual here - http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mb_manual_ga-x58-usb3_e.pdf)

You have to physically open up the computer case and look inside for the power supply, their should be a label on it that tells you the info.

great thanks i'll take a look.
goign back to the RAM, using CPU-Z under the memory tab it says channels# is already triple.
does that mean triple is supported, or that its running in triple mode?

probably a stpid statement, but i thought i read somewhere this machien can run in triple mode without matching pairs/sets....?

P.S - can somebody please put a price to this machine so i can gauge how well my deal was?! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom