Rate my new build please

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Ok, after patiently waiting and searching for several months [I am on a budget], I found some great deals on most of these components [and no, my shoes do not squeak when I walk, well at least not very loud]. I was hoping for some help like suggestions, comments, recommendations, commendations, pats on the back, corrections, criticisms, scathing rebukes, etc.

If some of the components seem not up to par, or a major bottle neck, then I figure I could craigslist and/or ebay some of those components and upgrade to somethin' better if I can find a good deal on that component as well...

Here's the list:

CoolMaster Storm Sniper Black edition [paid $60 new] Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Intel I5-750 with the Gigabyte GA P55A-UD3 [paid $199 new on what I thought was an excellent combo deal] Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM [paid $99.99, just could not find the patience to wait for a better deal] Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Coolmaster Hyper 212 Plus [paid $30, but it was on sale earlier for $21. I am seriously considering a Corsair Coolingâ„¢ Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler because I found it for only $50... but I do not do massive gaming and I do not even know how to overclock... What are your thoughts on this]? Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

ENERMAX INFINITI EIN720AWT 720W ATX12V/ EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply [Paid $39.99 new]. Newegg.com - ENERMAX INFINITI EIN720AWT 720W ATX12V/ EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I am not sure which of these GPU's to use:

Galaxy 250 GTS 512 mb [got two of these new for $59 each new, but horrible reviews on these babies] Newegg.com - Galaxy 25SFF6HX1RUI GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PNY 9800 GTX [just bought two of these tonight for $58 each new and I hope I did not make a mistake] PNY VCG98GTXPXPB GeForce 9800 GTX + Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDMI Support, VGA Support at TigerDirect.com

I have lots of various platter hard drives that I can use, but I am seriously considering this Intel SSD for the OS:

INTEL SSDSA2MP040G2R5 Solid State Drive(SSD) 40GB MLC NAND Flash SATA 3.0Gb/s Retail [they are offering it for $104] I know it is small, but I am on a budget [squeak, squeak]. INTEL SSDSA2MP040G2R5 Solid State Drive(SSD) 40GB MLC NAND Flash SATA 3.0Gb/s Retail at ZipZoomfly

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit [we received a number of these free because my wife and I attended several of their events].

All in all thus far, this rig is costing me about $600.

Ok, if possible, please give me some good suggestions, comments, recommendations, and/or corrections if you're up to it!

Thanks,

Soar

For $50 the Corsair H50 is a good deal and it's much better than the Cooler Master.

The 9800 GTX's and the 250 GTS's are both a waste of good money at this time. They were slow cards last year so buying them now puts you about 2 years back in time.

Skip the SSD, sell the 9800's and the 250's, buy a Western Digital Black HD and the best ATI 5000 series video card you can afford (a single card).

i5 is a good buy depending on what you are using it for. Because it is only 2.66 ghz it is not the best CPU for gaming, video processing, and image processing that require lots of weight. However if this is a work related computer it's fine for what you are doing. Personally i would have went with a AMD quad core MOBO and CPU because both are a bit cheaper and you are getting a whole lot more. However this is my perspective and if it is working fine for you then don't listen to me.

You can skip on SSD and save a good bit easily. If you have a reasonably sized HDD just use it and put the money towards a decent GPU. If you sold those 3 cards you could probably afford a Radeon HD 5850 or so which is a much better card than any combination of the ones you have.

As for an i5 in a gaming machine, it's not really an issue. Most games will play fine on an i5 if you have a good enough graphics card.

i5 is a good buy depending on what you are using it for. Because it is only 2.66 ghz it is not the best CPU for gaming, video processing, and image processing that require lots of weight. However if this is a work related computer it's fine for what you are doing. Personally i would have went with a AMD quad core MOBO and CPU because both are a bit cheaper and you are getting a whole lot more. However this is my perspective and if it is working fine for you then don't listen to me.

you can't measure performance based on clock speed alone, there's more to it than that.

even though the i5 750 is only clocked at 2.66ghz, overall it is still faster than any of amd's current quads, including the 3.4ghz x4 965.

he'll be fine with the i5.

You can skip on SSD and save a good bit easily. If you have a reasonably sized HDD just use it and put the money towards a decent GPU. If you sold those 3 cards you could probably afford a Radeon HD 5850 or so which is a much better card than any combination of the ones you have.

As for an i5 in a gaming machine, it's not really an issue. Most games will play fine on an i5 if you have a good enough graphics card.

Calc,

I like your idea on selling the cards and purchasing a Radeon HD 5850. I startdc checking prices today on that card and most of them are running above $300 [gulp]!

Anyway, thanks for the info and I will look for a good deal on an upper end card.

Soar

you can't measure performance based on clock speed alone, there's more to it than that.

even though the i5 750 is only clocked at 2.66ghz, overall it is still faster than any of amd's current quads, including the 3.4ghz x4 965.

he'll be fine with the i5.

Muf,

Thanks for the eye opening post! Wow, I thought AMD was better than that!

Soar

If you are going to want to run stuff at max detail with AA and at high res you are going to have to get a card that costs money, my 5850 has eaten everything i have thrown at it, well except unigene heaven, but thats cuz Nvidia developed it and they don't like ati, but it still averaged like 15+ fps with everything maxed. so thats nice, for games... it eats tom clancy's hawx up like nothing else. when I get crysis 2 we shall see what happens then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom