Rate my build? (Approx 1.6k)

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are going to over clock your processor, the i7 920 are better at overclocking.

also, the HAF 932 only has room for one 140mm fan, i think you ment to put 120mm fans, as the HAF 932 can hold eight 120mm fans. i like this fan, just bought 4 of them for my case and they are stellar fans! and they have more airflow than the ones you listed... plus they are cheaper... and quieter
Newegg.com - Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fan

This is a better CPU cooler, throw two 120mm fans on this bad boy and itll keep your CPU ice cold
Newegg.com - Thermalright TRUE Black 120Rev.C CPU Cooler

Everyone here seems to be recommending this CPU cooler, so I might as well link to it:
Newegg.com - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler
From what I've heard, it does wonders when combined with two fans in a push / pull config ;)

And as Sean W. said, the 920's are better at overclocking. Slaymate's got a guide on that:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i7-overclocking-guide-224693/

His experience OCing the 930:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/project-i7-930-a-228217/index3.html

Other than that, that looks like a very strong build. I'm jealous :tongue:

Also, I'm not 100% sure that board supports Crossfire.. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

Ah yes yes sorry, I didn't read thoroughly enough. Down there under features :tongue:

yeah, I meant to put the 120mm fans in there, wrong link

I am also thinking about waiting for the Haf x, any thoughts on that case? Also, throw in some thoughts on the antec 1200 if you have one

I have the Antec 1200 and I personally do not like it. I do not like the PSU being mounted on the bottom since the fan is facing up and some of my cables were not long enough. Another thing is the hard drive cages, to take one hard drive out you have to remove 12 screws, 8 thumb screws for the cage and 4 screws for the hard drive and the fan power connector. Also you can't put the hard drives in front of the video card, there is not enough room.

If you plan on doing crossfire down the road, you may want to look into a bigger PSU like maybe the Corsair 850 watt.

For the motherboard, I would personally stick with Asus or Gigabyte. I have always heard good things about them two brands. I have used 2 Gigabyte boards and no problems so far. Although motherboards are not my specialty.

Also, I'm not 100% sure that board supports Crossfire.. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

i believe all x58 mobos are xfire ready.

If you plan on doing crossfire down the road, you may want to look into a bigger PSU like maybe the Corsair 850 watt.

a 750w will power a rig like his with xfire'd 5870's, he'll be good.

i do have some suggestions though,
you could save $50 by getting this set of ram instead.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK
same speed, same timings.

get the non xxx 5870 instead.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
they are charging you $40 more for a pitiful 25mhz core OC and 50mhz memory OC which you can very easily do yourself.

and for a few bucks more over the cooler master cooler, id suggest this one.
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Memmory..... The psu fan is an intake. Being at the bottom it technically keeps the psu cooler.

But I agree, the Antec cases aren't the best for wiring, but they are big, and do A good cooling job.

The 920 vs 930 for overclocking, i believe its a chip to chip issue... Slays 920 worked better, but my readings show alot of people are happier with the 930 in comparisons...

Buy the cheaper option is my opinion.

Memmory..... The psu fan is an intake. Being at the bottom it technically keeps the psu cooler.

I realize the psu fan is an intake but since it is facing up, dust would collect in there more and you could easily drop a screw inside of it too.

The Antec 1200 may not be the best for cable management but it is by far better than my old Thermaltake Armor case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom