Rate this build please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go with a 7200RPM Sata2 disk. Also, I personally dislike the Sound Blaster X-FI "gamer" cards. I use an Asus Xonar in my semi-pro audio rig, but then I'm just really picky when it comes to audio. I guess for most people the Sound Blaster X-FI Gamer edition might be OK.

I was looking at the reviews for the Newegg.com - Creative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card and I noticed that there have been troubles with win 7 64 bit ( Im planning on getting that as my operating system Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems), so I think ill take a ASUS xonar like richm499 mentioned, they are also way cheaper then the Sound- Blaster card. Im looking at getting one of these but I don't really see the difference, besides the price, Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Audio Card and Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card any ideas or suggestions?

why don't you try the mobo's integrated sound first? both the gigabyte mobo you listed and the one i listed support 7.1 channel hd audio.

I was looking at the reviews for the Newegg.com - Creative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card and I noticed that there have been troubles with win 7 64 bit ( Im planning on getting that as my operating system Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems), so I think ill take a ASUS xonar like richm499 mentioned, they are also way cheaper then the Sound- Blaster card. Im looking at getting one of these but I don't really see the difference, besides the price, Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Audio Card and Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card any ideas or suggestions?

The difference is that the more expensive card has a better Signal to Noise ratio.

I personally use this Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D2 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Ultra Fidelity Sound Card with Complete Dolby/DTS Sound Technologies which has better connectivity (more ports and such), and a nice shield to keep the SNR high. I can't personally vouch for low profile PCI 2.1 cards, but I can say that my Asus Xonar is absolutely brilliant. I have lost a lot of respect for Sound Blaster cards over the last few years, because I have very sensitive ears (I am a composer), and I notice a sharp contrast in audio quality between Sound Blaster X-Fi cards, and my Asus Xonar.

If you demand the absolute best audio quality, you're going to want one of the Xonar cards with an interference shield on it. However, if you can settle for slightly less, the low profile cards should serve you well.

If you decide to get one of the cheaper Xonar cards, or even if you decide to go with a Sound Blaster X-Fi, it's going to be much much better than onboard. You're talking about hardware accelerated sound (on the card itself, which saves some CPU power. Although, it's not much cpu power), MUCH better Signal to Noise ratio, better driver support, and if the sound dies you have warranty options instead of having to replace the whole motherboard. Also, if the sound card dies on you, you can just use the onboard sound untill you get your replacement from Asus. Win-Win-Win IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom