Raptors

Status
Not open for further replies.
thnx for the info guys....i do play alot of games and some autocad....so every second on loads count lol

i wouldn't say sataII is a premature technology at all! especially when you get to video editing or moving a folder with every single family guy episode... i can do that in a matter of seconds (although it does frag up ur drive...). but also, i heard somewhere, i think tomshardware, that the 150 is faster than 2 74's, so i assume the same for the 2 36's, but it could definatelly be otherwise.

SATA and SATA II is just the name of an orginization. SATA and SATA II are basically the same thing it's just said that hard drives with a 3gb/s transfer rate are SATA II although this is not the case. Read more about SATA II here http://www.sata-io.org/namingguidelines.asp

So now that we've got that cleared up, there's really no difference between a 1.5gb/s hard drive or a 3gb/s hard drive. As for the raptors I would just get a 74 gb or a 150 gb one. RAID has been proven to even slow down your system in some areas and it is less secure. 36 gb raptors are a waste of money.

BuddyRo said:
ok im kinda new to the whole sataII thing...wats the difference from sata and sataII
Sata2 just doubles the bandwidth of SATA1, but seeing how there are no hard drives out today that can even max out SATA1, it's kinda pointless. The SATA1 150GB raptor slaps down any and all SATA2 drives. BTW, the 74gb raptor is slightly faster than the 36gb one, but not if you have two 36gb raptors in RAID

tommyboy123x said:
but also, i heard somewhere, i think tomshardware, that the 150 is faster than 2 74's, so i assume the same for the 2 36's, but it could definatelly be otherwise.

They might have been talking about the 150GB Raptor X which is faster then the regular 150GB raptor, which is about 50 more dollars.

i have backup drives not worried about a crash...i just want performance...and from what i have researched and read here...2 36g raptors perform pretty good....1 74g from what i understand cant outperform 2 36gbs

that is correct. i don't understand where this info about the higher models outperforming a RAIDed pair of the smaller drives came from. RAID 0 effectively doubles transfer rate, and in the case of raptors a RAIDed pair should exceed the maximum transfer rate of SATA therefore a single of any of the larger models can not outperform a RAIDed pair.

the 74GB model of the raptor (I have one) is actually better than the 36GB model. The difference is not just the size!! Check out the benchmarks on tomshardware if you can find them.

However I dont know if 1 74GB outperforms 2 raided 36GBs but personally I wouldn't concider buying the 36GB model full stop just because the 74GB is *so* much better 1:1.

"Significant improvements of the WD740 over the WD360 include the availability of tagged command queuing and the switch to FDB (fluid dynamic bearing). Even just a few seconds after starting the drive, the difference from the WD360 can be heard clearly - the Raptor has gotten considerably quieter."

Judging by the benchmarks the WD740 is massively faster then the WD360 in every respect... But its up to you if you want two relatively loud WD360 trying to keep up with the performance of its bigger brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom