Raptor in Raid 0 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Raptor in Raid 0

I have decided to go with 2 raptor 74 Gig drives as my next upgrade. I have a P4 2.4 with a ASUS P4g800-v motherboard. It does have two SATA connectors, but does not appear to support a raid environment. This is my current PC, so what would be the best way to set up these two new drives? I have never set up raid 0 before. I thought I needed to select it when installing the operating system. That being the case will it be software controlled..I have read that hardware controlled is better. I will be installing Win XP Pro. Any insight is appreciated.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

Get a 3rd party RAID driver for that setup.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Can you explain a little more? Woud this still be software based? If so would I just load the driver upon loading the op system?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

When you are loading the system It will say, "Press F3 to install a 3rd party RAID driver". The RAID driver will need to be either downloaded from the Interweb, or you may have a floppy that came with the MOBO or HDD's.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok.. I guess that is my question. Since I don't think my motherboard suppports RAID configuration... How will I set up these two new drives? Would I need to buy a card? If so any suggestions? I know what you are saying about selecting F3 when you have a mobo that supports it... but what about when it doesn't? Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I dont know if you can with your current setup. My mobo does have a raid controller and what I had to do was tie the 2 drives together with the integrated raid controller, then install a raid driver when i loaded windows so it knew that the drives existed in raid or something. Did I do something wrong? It appears to be working for the past few weeks but did I install the raid driver for no reason?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

Its F6 but when i try to press it, it doesnt go anywhere?? and i press F6 about 10 times, and then it just keeps on loading ARG!!

make sure you enable raid in your bios if your mobo supports it
Old 01-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It will keep loading.. you are just setting that option... Let it load and it will ask you to install the raid driver....
Old 01-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

ok if your board does not support raid you will need to buy a pci sata raid controller card. the card will come with the drivers you need to install windows. keep in mind you will be limited to the 133 speed of the pci buss but sata1 is only 150 and you will not max out the drives. the raptors rule I have a raid 0 setup with them and it is ligtning fast. keep in mind you will want another drive for important data. you should only use the raid array for your os, apps and games. enjoy the power.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok.. That is what I thought was the way to go. Can you recommend a card? I see on Newegg there are a lot of them. This looked to be a good buy...SATA PCI RAID CARD

Closed Thread