Ranked CPU List

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think tthe best way to rank the cpu's is by their overall performance across as wide a range of benchmarks as possible.

AnandTech Bench (beta): SYSMark 2007 - Overall

Anandtech Bench could be useful for determining how two closely matched cpu's like the q9400 and PII 940 should be ranked. If we rank the cpu that wins the majority of tests higher the list should be pretty accurate

How is it accurate that the QX9770 is higher ranked than the 920? It's only in maybe a couple tests that it beats it out...like CPU data encryption, contact searching, and webpage rendering. Yet somehow it gets a slightly higher score than the 920 in Sysmark and PCmark.

Along these lines, I do agree with Apok in that it is tough to really rank processors since there are way too many variables in benchmarks.

I agree with Apok. The only way to really rank CPUs is to have them in standardized configurations where there are no other variables. Sure GPUs have the same variables with the programs that are giving the instructions, but every GPU is standardized wheras the CPU is so dependent on all the other components. You'll notice whenever a reviewer tests a product they do it on the same mobo, ram, etc.

With this in mind all you need to do to rank these is to look at the clock speeds and probably even price. To me, that really isn't very useful information. While an overclocking ranking would be more controversial I think it would be much more helpful and meaningful in this regard.

This is true to an extent, to get relative performance for GPU's you just have to put them in systems that won't bottleneck, then whack up the settings until the GPU performance tops out - that "top out" performance level will be the same on any system provided its good enough not to create a bottle neck in another area

e.g.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2009/05/FarCry2-VGA-CPU-Skalierung_x.png

The gtx285 is clearly suffering from bottle necks in the systems that its running in, but the HD3870 tops out on the E6600 system - showing us the performance limit of that GPU. but until you reach that "top out" level the performance of a GPU is massively subjective, I saw plenty of examples of that when I was researching my new system build, I saw plenty of game benchmarks on different CPU's (namely the I7 920 and the P II 955) which flatly contradicted each other, this is not down to the CPU but rather the performance of a GPU in a given system where there are bottle necks (other than the GPU itself).

On the other hand I don't think that its so hard to rank CPU's, just put the CPU in an "average" system then run a suite of CPU specific benchmarks, aggregate the scores and hey presto you have rankings. Maybe not 100% accurate in all conditions but a good rule of thumb guide.

Remember e8xxx cpu's vs q6600's threads?

How are you going to decide which one? Multi threaded.... q6600... most Games ... normally e8xxx. I guess you will have to have a combination of the two to decide. It's going to be a lot harder then the gpu list.

But I still think you should do this list, it's fun :) .

Remember e8xxx cpu's vs q6600's threads?.

You may think those threads are bad now but it's nothing like it was a year ago.

The bad batches of q6600's that didn't overclock well kind of answered that question once and for all though.

You may think those threads are bad now but it's nothing like it was a year ago.

The bad batches of q6600's that didn't overclock well kind of answered that question once and for all though.

I was referring to the threads a year ago actually. There were about 20 a day on every forums out there. :D

Still, how do you place the q6600 on the list now? We aren't talking about overclocking.

I was referring to the threads a year ago actually. There were about 20 a day on every forums out there. :D

Still, how do you place the q6600 on the list now? We aren't talking about overclocking.

Believe me I know, I was involved in my fair share of them.

The q6600 would probably fall above the q8200 and possibly the q8300 but probably below the q8400.

Edit: Wait how do you know how manyy q6600 vs e8400 threads there were, it happened a year before you joined?

above the older gen phenoms and right under the newer phenoms/q8400's

edit: darn, beaten by puddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom