Random shutdown due to under powered computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
even good brands have a few bad eggs sometimes i guess, but i'm with kmote, a 620w (seasonic) should easily power your rig.

Sean buddy, Seasonic makes something like 60% of ALL psus out there, including Corsairs, and just sends out the guts to get brands packaging put on.

Likde eveyone says, but Sean ;) , get a multimeter and check the voltages.

OH, and check to make sure the power supply wires aren't shorting on anything what so ever, if it detects a short, a psu usually kills power to prevent damage almost instantly, so something could be shorting out somewhere.

I would use the digital volt/ohm meter to check to see if it's shorting on anything, or is there something else I need to do. I have no idea about any of this, so kind of out of my element.

Regardless of personal preferences towards manufacterers, the 620W should be able to run my system no problem? Upgrading to a 700W wouldn't make much of a difference?

Wonderful, so either the PSU is faulty or it's something completely unrelated to the PSU and I'm back to square one.
Feeling kind of out of my depth with this problem.
Now to find a digital volt meter.

Thanks for the help.

A decent one is at wally world for like $15, they come in handy, but yea, do as I said earlier, hook it up to a power dongle that isn't in use, and make sure that it isn't touching anything that can short out, while using the PC keep an eye on your voltage, and tell us the lowest voltage you recognize, also, you need to physically check your wires for any bare metal that is touching the case/another part, as it could be a small short.

I'm in Switzerland and don't know my way around here very well, but I'll see what I can find. :)

As for the wires, I know for a fact that there is no bare metal on the wires. Everything is encased in plastic and has netting overtop which holds all the wires together.
I should be able to find the voltage in the BIOS when I boot? Do I need to test every power cable or just any one?
I'll try it out tonight

The BIOS reports it, but it relies on sensors on the motherboard, which could be wrong. When using the volt/ohm meter, monitor the 12v rail, as that is one of the more important, and most used ones, then monitor the 5v and 3.3, if you don't drop much, or gain to much, then your PSU should be fine, but if you get huge drops/gains in voltage, or it fluctuates drastically, and quickly, then the PSU is a bad egg.

BTW, all yellow goes to the same place, same with the other colors, unless you have multiple 12v rails, then you will need to test a 12v cable from each 12v rail, which can become difficult in finding a cable on a different 12v rail.

your cpu is running at 88C wow thats HOT do you have the cooler on it? did you put the thermal paste on if the cooler is on it? you might want to upgrade to a better cooler if your getting those kinda numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom