Random Freezes after upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Fox

OCZ SSD Enthusiast
I just upgraded my memory from 4gb to 8gb.

It's the same memory as before.

This is my motherboard

When I just had the 4gb, I set the speed to 1066 ghz in the BIOS, and a day after installing an additional 4gb, my computer froze. After the second time, I reset the speed back to AUTO and I'm seeing if this will help...but I doubt it will.

It froze once when playing a demo for Sniper: Ghost Warrior then later that same day, it froze while playing Call of Duty: Black Ops. During both of these games, my memory usage was below 50%.

When I say froze I mean nothing would respond; mouse was stuck, keyboard did nothing, couldn't open task manager with shortcut keys or press ctrl alt delete. I had to press and hold my power button to completely turn the computer off and then turn it back on.

I went into the BIOS and checked the voltages, it was set to AUTO and said the default voltage was 1.8
I set it to 2.14 as specified in the details of the memory on newegg.

I'm going to see how this works out and if it freezes again, I will check out memtest86.

Quick question: Why would the memory freeze when 8gb was put into it instead of 4gb when the voltages and usage was the same?

Usage might be the same, but theres more to be searched/accessed needing more power??? You might have just gotten lucky.

I do know more ram is a harder strain on the system. You can't usually overclock as high withall slots used.

Okay, after running Call of Duty: Black Ops for about 2 hours, it stopped right in the middle, but instead of freezing, it instantly went to a blue screen that said something about memory checking and windows shutting down...it only stayed up for 3 seconds; I couldn't read all of it. I increased the voltages from 1.14 to 1.2 which is the max voltage.

I will see how this works.

Edit: I just downloaded at burned the ISO of memtest86 to a disk and booted up, selected the first option (single cpu) and it started running, and froze at 5% and the time was 4 seconds and it wouldn't move for 20 minutes, so I turned my computer off, booted up to windows, and typed this. :/ memtest86.com says 3.5a version fixed a problem with over 4gb of memory, but apparently not.

I know this sounds odd but just taking out the ram from the slots and make sure that the slots are dust free/clean also make sure the pins on the ram are clean will often stop any freezes, as even a little bit of dust can make your system freeze. also i would suggest you set the voltages back to auto to avoid any problems.

hope this has helped!
gunzidiot

Well I found memtest86+ before anyone responded to my last post and started it. It's been running for about 3 hours and I can't see any signs of it close to the end (I'm on a different computer). So far it has found 3 errors it says. Does memtest fix the errors? Or what do I do once it's finished?

memtest just stresses the memory to find errors. Memory that errors is bad and can't be fixed. most memory, however, has a limited lifetime warranty, though.

So the errors are a physical problem? They can't be fixed by me? It's passed 5 times and found 3 errors. Ran for 5 hours.

So my best option is to return the memory?

Should I try take it out and blowing out the dust like gunzidiot suggested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom