Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   New Systems | Building and Buying (http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/)
-   -   Random Freezes after upgrade... (http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/random-freezes-after-upgrade-240300/)

Night Fox 12-31-2010 02:31 PM

Random Freezes after upgrade...

I just upgraded my memory from 4gb to 8gb.

It's the same memory as before.

This is my motherboard

When I just had the 4gb, I set the speed to 1066 ghz in the BIOS, and a day after installing an additional 4gb, my computer froze. After the second time, I reset the speed back to AUTO and I'm seeing if this will help...but I doubt it will.

It froze once when playing a demo for Sniper: Ghost Warrior then later that same day, it froze while playing Call of Duty: Black Ops. During both of these games, my memory usage was below 50%.

When I say froze I mean nothing would respond; mouse was stuck, keyboard did nothing, couldn't open task manager with shortcut keys or press ctrl alt delete. I had to press and hold my power button to completely turn the computer off and then turn it back on.

patonb 12-31-2010 02:36 PM

Re: Random Freezes after upgrade...

Make sure its running the right amount of memory voltage.

Also test it with memtest86

Night Fox 12-31-2010 02:59 PM

I went into the BIOS and checked the voltages, it was set to AUTO and said the default voltage was 1.8
I set it to 2.14 as specified in the details of the memory on newegg.

I'm going to see how this works out and if it freezes again, I will check out memtest86.

Quick question: Why would the memory freeze when 8gb was put into it instead of 4gb when the voltages and usage was the same?

patonb 12-31-2010 03:55 PM

Usage might be the same, but theres more to be searched/accessed needing more power??? You might have just gotten lucky.

I do know more ram is a harder strain on the system. You can't usually overclock as high withall slots used.

Night Fox 01-01-2011 07:56 AM

Okay, after running Call of Duty: Black Ops for about 2 hours, it stopped right in the middle, but instead of freezing, it instantly went to a blue screen that said something about memory checking and windows shutting down...it only stayed up for 3 seconds; I couldn't read all of it. I increased the voltages from 1.14 to 1.2 which is the max voltage.

I will see how this works.

Edit: I just downloaded at burned the ISO of memtest86 to a disk and booted up, selected the first option (single cpu) and it started running, and froze at 5% and the time was 4 seconds and it wouldn't move for 20 minutes, so I turned my computer off, booted up to windows, and typed this. :/ memtest86.com says 3.5a version fixed a problem with over 4gb of memory, but apparently not.

gunzidiot 01-01-2011 08:43 AM

I know this sounds odd but just taking out the ram from the slots and make sure that the slots are dust free/clean also make sure the pins on the ram are clean will often stop any freezes, as even a little bit of dust can make your system freeze. also i would suggest you set the voltages back to auto to avoid any problems.

hope this has helped!
gunzidiot

patonb 01-01-2011 11:11 AM

Try memtest+ then....... I alwayhs forget which works... Sorry.

Night Fox 01-01-2011 02:09 PM

Well I found memtest86+ before anyone responded to my last post and started it. It's been running for about 3 hours and I can't see any signs of it close to the end (I'm on a different computer). So far it has found 3 errors it says. Does memtest fix the errors? Or what do I do once it's finished?

Trotter 01-01-2011 02:58 PM

memtest just stresses the memory to find errors. Memory that errors is bad and can't be fixed. most memory, however, has a limited lifetime warranty, though.

Night Fox 01-01-2011 03:58 PM

So the errors are a physical problem? They can't be fixed by me? It's passed 5 times and found 3 errors. Ran for 5 hours.

So my best option is to return the memory?

Should I try take it out and blowing out the dust like gunzidiot suggested?