Rampage Forumla vs Extreme vs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
looking at these two boards here:

Newegg.com - ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Formula appears to have a decent chipset cooler, nice features at an affordable price.... however, only 6 SATA ports, and there's no mention of RAID support.

Extreme has 8 SATA ports and 4 RAID levels.... and LC built into the northbridge... but is it worth the $100 premium?

Two things that concern me, however... are does the first support RAID? because if not, I can't go with that... and can the second stay sufficiently cool without utilizing the LC? because again, if not, I can't use it....

Does anyone else have a mainboard recommendation for overclocking that will give me the featuresets I need?

namely at minimum 6, preferable more, SATA ports, with support for RAID1/0/10, good chipset coolers, support for at least 10 USB ports (4 on the back), and room for at least 1 PCIEx1 and 1 PCI card after adding 1-2 PCIEx16 GPUs that take up 2 slots... crossfire is a plus, more PCI/E slots are a plus, support for more memory is a plus, higher FSB and better BIOS/driver support is a must, must be rock solid and reliable, and able to fit in an ATX case.

What a raid?

Rofl... >xP

Please make useful posts...

Cunjo: Those are both most likely unnecessary boards. They also both require DDR3 which is not worth it right now. The I45 that stalin recommended is a great board, or you can look around for something else but those two that you picked are way overboard and aren't really worth the money.

Yeh dont bother getting a board which only supports DDR3, because you wont be able to use that ram for Nahelam either because the DDR3 out now has voltages which are too high. Go with the Biostar.

you would be better off with an asus maximus formula 2. the p45 is alot better then x48 when it comes to over clocking.
and price.

the P5Q is worth looking at aswell should give you about the same overclock, also the gigabyte EP45 series which is probably a bit cheaper.

I would get the I45. The world record plus being able to do over 600mhz fsb on air is impressive for a $160 board.

The rampage formula is dd2, the extreme is ddr3. Its a great board actually. I havent had any issues with it and the NB runs quite cool with only the stock heatsink assembly. I'm likely going to be selling mine next week if you are interested. I'm going back to SLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom