Which RAM would you choose..? 2gb... help a newb!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
Ok, so this is for my laptop... I'm trying to upgrade it to 2gb's. Here are my 3 choices... I need everyone's opinion on this. The 1gb(2nd choice below) is cheaper than the 2gb G.SKILL... but aren't they the exact same type of ram?? Or does the 1gb ram not have the "Dual Channel kit"?

Should I buy this:
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory Model F2-5300PHU2-2GBSA - Retail - $114.99 (on sale... orig. $124.99 )
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory - Retail

or

Buy 2 of these:
G.SKILL 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Notebook Memory Model F2-5300PHU1-1GBSA - Retail - $54.99.... But I'll have to buy 2 so it'll be $109.98
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Notebook Memory - Retail

or

forget both of those and get this:
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory Model VS2GSDSKIT667D2 - Retail - $129.99
Newegg.com - CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory - Retail

or.... is there something better you guys can suggest?
Thanks guys!

anyone know if this is a good/bad to buy ram?

Go with the first option. G.skill's Dual-Chanel kits are a nice price for the performance.

So I'm assuming there is a difference between the G.SKILL 1gb and the G.SKILL 2gb?? Does the 1gb ram not support the dual-channel? Because I was planning on getting 2 of them... if I chose to get that one that is.

Well it's just that the 2GB pack has been manually tested to run at the same speeds and dual-channel works fine. However I myself bought two different 1GB stick at different times and Dual-Channel works fine on mine. It's not that it WONT work as it should but rather that it was tested.

Still it doesn't matter buying two of the 1Gb will work too as long as the ram isn't bad, which G.skill hardly ever has.

Ok, so I've been surfing the web about this RAM stuff... and found that I should be getting the 1gb one.... because I hear the "dual kits" are a ploy. Any two same size ram will run in "dual mode"... so dual kits are a rip off? So I should buy 2 of the 1gb G.SKILL memory.

If something bad happens and I don't get the dual channel to work... is that going to show in the performance? What is the performance difference between a single channel 2gb and a dual channel 2gb?

2gb dual kits means that there are 2gb of RAM running in dual channel instead of 1gb.
no, its not "a ploy". its just a matter of wording.
usually the 2gb kits are a little cheaper than buying two 1gb sticks seperately.
plus, as sora stated, it is possible to get a bad stick if you buy them seperately...or one will perform better than the other.
your mobo should detect that it is ddr2 and that is how it will work.
buy the 2gb kit of memory (2 x 1GB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom