RAM Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
I want to upgrade my RAM. Right now I have 2X256 of DDR PC3200 RAM and 1X512 of DDR PC2100, so its all running at PC2100 speed. Would it possibly be better to just take out the 512 stick and only run on the other 2? If I do decide to upgrade, should I keep the 2X256 sticks or get rid of them and buy newer/better RAM? How do I know the best RAM that I can buy that my mobo will still support? I have Everest if that will reveal anything worthwhile just let me know and I'll post it. Thanks for the help.

PS - I also have a stick of 512 DDR PC2700 here in another computer that can only utilize PC2100, so I guess that would be better in this computer. But should I replace the 512 at PC2100 or just keep the 2X256's or what? Thanks again!

why dont you run some benchmarks with what you have, then take out the 512 run some benchmarks and see wats better

I used 3Dmark01 and the scores were comparable with and without the stick of 512 RAM, but my computer seems faster with the stick in, so I'll keep it in for now.

Is there any software that will tell me the best type of RAM that my mobo can handle (i.e. PC3200, etc)? If not, maybe there is something that can tell me the type of mobo I have and then I can check it out to see up to what type of RAM my mobo supports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom