RAM Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayzolight

Baseband Member
I'm going to upgrade from 2x1gb to 2x2gb. This is what I currently have...

RAM: Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

My current RAM specs are:

Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 4
Timing 4-4-4-12
Voltage 2.2V

I'd like to avoid having to mess with the bios to get my new sticks to work properly (unless this is a fairly brainless task). Should my new pair have the same timings and voltage rating as what I'm currently using? or will that not matter??

Basically, what I am wondering is what do I have to take into consideration when choosing a new pair of sticks. Looking to spend about $50-$60

THANK YOU!

Normally you just toss the ram in and the computer will default to the rams default settings. 2.2v is pretty high for stock ddr2 ram so you should be able to handle basically any ram. I normally recommend OCZ ram since its cheap, though stock settings aren't 4-4-4-12 you can a lot of times get to that but then you have to mess with the bios. And G.skill has some cheap ram that is 4-4-4-12 by default.

Grab the G. Skill PI Black 2x2GB kit. Great heatsinks and great timings at low voltage:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
The price must have just gone up to $75

Here is another alternative for a bit less:
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Slightly lower timings, but only barely different at 4-4-4-15. Basically timings of 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-15 have no noticeable difference, when sometimes these forums can make timings out to be a bit bigger factor than they are.

Grab the G. Skill PI Black 2x2GB kit. Great heatsinks and great timings at low voltage:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
The price must have just gone up to $75

Here is another alternative for a bit less:
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Slightly lower timings, but only barely different at 4-4-4-15. Basically timings of 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-15 have no noticeable difference, when sometimes these forums can make timings out to be a bit bigger factor than they are.

I'd been watching those GSkills and yes, the price did just go up. Just yesterday they were only $50 :(

Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom