RAM timings and Overclocking info post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get ram with tight timings, then when overclocking loosen them to achieve higher mhz out of them.

That is what I was thinking to do.. I got confused though, lol

Thanks y'all :)

PS: Sorry then if this is in the wrong forum =\ - Originally this was a post to figure out what RAM to buy.. thus building and upgrading your PC would have been the right forum. I guess it IS more of a technical question due to overclocking though :)

u actually get a better 3dmark 06 score with higher frequency ram then you do with tighter timings, my ram at 1066mghz scores more then it does at 850 with 4-4-3-8 timings.

All summed up..
Buy for the highest bus speed. Timing can be adjusted on your own, and wont bring any noticeable performance. Lower timings don't offer you better overclocking. Decreasing your timings can actually make your RAM less stable.

Example. I have A-DATA 2x1gb sticks.
They came at a stock 5-5-5-18 @ 1.9v, 800mhz
I overclocked them to 5-5-5-18 @ 2.1v, 920mhz
The mhz speed is proportional to your cpu speed. So increasing this increases the clock of your cpu (what your goal is.) I had to increase the voltage to the ram to make sure they keep stable at that speed.

I could decrease my timings to 4-4-4-15 but that wont help me overclock. It would just ever so slightly, increase the performance of my ram. Its not worth the trouble.

So by doing all this I got my e8400 at 4ghz :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom