RAM recommendations for a striker mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemakr

In Runtime
im getting my asus striker xtreme back from getting fixed and am going to get new RAM. I want to do a 4x1Gb dual chanel configuration. Just wondering if anyone that is running a striker board might have any suggestions as to what kind i should look at. ill be running it with a E8400 Wolfdale and a 8800gtx.

Corsair Dominator, G.Skill, Patriot Extreme Performance are all good brands to look at among others. What speed were you thinking of? Standard 800MHz or higher?

well i cant run any higher than 800MHz on my striker xtreme, and i have the ultra chilltec cpu heatsink and it covers 2 of my dimm slots, so i cant get any ram that has a big *** heatsink on it.

id love to go higher, but i havnt seen anything saying i can do over 800mhz. if anyone knows otherwise let me know where you saw it at.

I run a striker 2 formula, 8800gtx with the wolfdale e8400 and 2 gigs crucial ballistix. I put it together a week ago so far so good. I will push it to it's limits this weeked. I wil be buying 2gbts as payday will allow.

id love to go higher, but i havnt seen anything saying i can do over 800mhz. if anyone knows otherwise let me know where you saw it at.

Sure you can go higher. I built a system with a Striker and 4GB Corsair Dominators 1066MHz. Works perfect.

I just got a reply back from tech support at asus and this is what he said:
the board and chipset officially run 800, but it is possible to overclock the ram further. though asus does not recomend it as it pushes the limits of hardware.
so instead of overclocking to 1066 speeds I can just run the faster ram? Someting just doesnt sound right to me about that. i just dont wanna waste my $ on RAM that im gonna have trouble with.
maybe i should just sell that board and get a newer one, its barely even been used.

I just got a reply back from tech support at asus and this is what he said:
so instead of overclocking to 1066 speeds I can just run the faster ram? Someting just doesnt sound right to me about that. i just dont wanna waste my $ on RAM that im gonna have trouble with.
maybe i should just sell that board and get a newer one, its barely even been used.

any rep is gonna say that it is dangerous to OC. You can push 800 to 950 or 1000 if you loosen up the timings some.

im getting my asus striker xtreme back from getting fixed and am going to get new RAM. I want to do a 4x1Gb dual chanel configuration. Just wondering if anyone that is running a striker board might have any suggestions as to what kind i should look at. ill be running it with a E8400 Wolfdale and a 8800gtx.

aren't there issues with having a Wolfdale and a 680i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom