RAM questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default RAM questions

I'm looking at adding some more RAM to my machine and I'd like some help deciding what to get. I currently have 2GB (2x1GB) of Crucial ballistix (DDR2 800).

I looked at getting another identical kit to bring my total up to 4GB, but the website I will be buying these from (I live in NZ so can't use newegg or whatever) has a 4GB (2x2GB) kit of G Skill Pi Black for the same price as the 2x1GB Crucial kit, and for $50 (NZ) less than the 2x2GB Ballistix.

I want to know if mixing memory brands can cause any problems. Should I get the 4GB G Skill kit in addition to my 2GB of Crucial (all at same speed/latencies)? I'd like to keep using my current memory in addition to whatever I get because I doubt I could find anyone to sell it to. What's my best option?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ethan_Kaizer Send a message via MSN to Ethan_Kaizer
Default Re: RAM questions

I think it depends on the situation. Sometimes mixing ram can cause problems, sometimes it works. I think that 4 gigs is plenty, and that your best investment is to get the G.Skill PIs, and try to sell the Ballistix. The PIs are awesome sticks of memory.

||Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4 GHz (OC coming soon) || Biostar TP45HP || 4GB Kingston DDR2 667 RAM ||
Sapphire HD 4670 512mb @778/1140 || Antec Trio 650w || Maxtor 250gb 7200 RPM HDD || Lite-On DVD-RW || Black Aluminum Case||
Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've heard a lot of people recommend Pi Blacks, but I don't really know what's good about them. Are they insane overclockers or something?

I really doubt that I can find someone to buy my Ballistix... I really don't know anyone who'd be interested.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Is there any reason that I shouldn't keep them for 6GB? I'm not currently overclocking much, but I might later when I can be bothered. I can always take them out if they're proving too much trouble. Is it likely that there will be compatibility issues due to the different brands?
Closed Thread