Ram question Dual channel and Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
I upgraded my 2nd PC from a old AGP MB with DDR ram to a newer one with DDR2 and PCI-E BUT I needed ram so in stead of ordering 2 gigs I took 2 1-gig sticks out of my main system (had 4 1-gig sticks) and ordered 2 2-gig sticks to replace them, It was only $20 difference so I figured why not. I know 6 gigs is a waste but couldn't hurt, but will 2 2-gig sticks and 2 1-gig sticks run in duel channel, They are the same timing however I didn't notice when I ordered (mind blanked it) but the 1-gig sticks are 2.0V and the 2-gig sticks are 1.95V. How much of a problem could this cause? Hoping I can run them together.

Thanks
Dauntae

Re: Ram question Duel channel and Voltage

They will run in dual channel, because you'll be running an even number of sticks, with relatively the same specs. You say they have the same timing, but what are both their speeds? On the subject of voltage, the difference seems so small, that there probably won't be a problem. I guess if your not doing any extreme overclocking and such.

What I would of done, is use the 2x2 in your main. And leave the remaining 2x1 as a backup, in case any of your DDR2s fail. You should monitor your RAM usage. See if you need over 4GB.

The most I've seen it go up is GTA 4 and it really is nice in win 7 I did notice in win 7 my system went down from a 5.9 to 5.5 and it's not as fast with the 2 gigs but I don't think the 6 will be needed but it's there so I may as well use it.

Thanks for the info
Dauntae

I upgraded my 2nd PC from a old AGP MB with DDR ram to a newer one with DDR2 and PCI-E BUT I needed ram so in stead of ordering 2 gigs I took 2 1-gig sticks out of my main system (had 4 1-gig sticks) and ordered 2 2-gig sticks to replace them, It was only $20 difference so I figured why not. I know 6 gigs is a waste but couldn't hurt, but will 2 2-gig sticks and 2 1-gig sticks run in duel channel, They are the same timing however I didn't notice when I ordered (mind blanked it) but the 1-gig sticks are 2.0V and the 2-gig sticks are 1.95V. How much of a problem could this cause? Hoping I can run them together.

Thanks
Dauntae

yes, both sets (the 2x2gb, and the 2x1gb) will run in two sets of dual channel. They will work together fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom