RAM question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

moisiss

In Runtime
I have been looking at a lot of laptops recently and have a (possibly stupid) question about RAM.

I have noticed that a lot of the laptops (and computers in general I guess) come pre-configured with 1 GB of RAM (DDR2 667) in 2x 512MB sticks. Now, to me it would make sense to get 1 GB in 1 stick... so you would have room to upgrade later without having to get rid of RAM that you already paid for.... but since the 2x 512GB thing seems so common I was wondering if there was a performance related reason for this.

Will 2x 512MB out perform a 1 GB stick (again, DDR2 667)? If not, why do computers so commonly come equipped with 2x 512 instead of just having a 1GB stick when the difference in price is only a couple of dollars?

Well, 2x512mb can run dual channel or whatever, at least thats how my laptop is ...

I wonder if that would be a big enough difference to be worth anything.

Yeah, dual channel makes your ram alot faster. I would get the 1stick though if plan to upgrade later.

Beacuse 2 sticks will run in dual channel while one will not, and theres laptops that come with 2 x 1gb, theyre just out of the price range that youre looking at.

ok... that's kinda what I figured.

I have heard that with dual channel (and possibly all RAM) it's best to match the manufacturer.... is there anything else I should know. Like, if I went ahead and got the 1 GB stick and then upgraded later with the same kind of RAM I should be good right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom