ram problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
So i have 4 gigs or 1066 ram but it is only running at 800. Under bios it's set to auto, in which case in CPU-Z it shows it running at 400mhz, double date rate at 800. So I set it to to manual and choose 533mhz and now it runs at 266.7mhz. So I assume in bios it's taking into consideration the double data rate and cpu-z is not.

So I tried setting it to 1066 via bios once, and my computer did not boot up correctly and it told me to set everything in bios to original settings and restart. Why is this? This is my first attempt at tweaking ram, i've only done cpu and gpu overclocks.

Here's a SS of cpu-z. Those timings are pretty bad I'm sure. What's with the fsb ratio or w/e? I heard it's best to be at 1:1. do i need to do that, and how?

This one here is more troubling to me.

It shows the max bandwidth at pc2 6400 or 800 mhz. Why is this? Just under that it says its 1066 ram. I'm so confused. Thanks in advance for any help

That actually seems quite weird to me, your ram should have 1066 as a default speed in the SPD. Have you tried checking the voltage, it may only be at about 1.8v like those SS' to run at the full 1066mhz ocz ram is sometimes rated at 2.1v, have a look and try slightly bumping on the voltage. Also set the timings to exactly as the defualt spec is. I suggested you clear cmos, (write down your cpu overclock settings if you have any) and from there set the timings, voltage and speed to default. See how that goes.

Yes, that is probably why its unstable at 1066 w/ only 1.8v going through it. I've personally never owned OCZ ram but I know they can be picky sticks to play w/.

All right thanks. I believe it worked. Now says 533 mhz on there which ddr is 1066. I wasnt sure what to change in bios to make 2.1v, there was something at 1.8, but there wasnt an option to go to 2.1 v. another thing was at 1.9 and it said ram overvoltage and I could change that to 2.1 so i did that and it boots up. Strange thing about it though it still says 1.8v in cpu-z.

I think cpu-z only shows you the default speeds through the SPD tab. It wont however show you the current voltage on the memory. Looks like it will always say 1.8v in cpu z

Hmm I must have changed the wrong voltages or something. It was stable as far as loading regular programs. But it would crash empire total war. i at first though it was my gpu OC, but seeing as the gpu OC was on in 3dmark06 i think it must have been the memory. Not sure what to do, the difference between 800mhz and 1066 might be negligible anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom