Ram frequency question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max2559

Baseband Member
Hi and thanks for taking the time to see if you can help!

Just built new system;

Core2DuoE6600
GigabyteGA965pDS4
2x1GB Geil 800MHz 4.4.4.12
2x80GB Samsung Spin Point (Running in Raid0)
X1900XT 512
QTechnology 400W silent PSU

Problem:

The ram appears to not be running at 800MHZ. It shows up in Easytune5 as 665Mhz

I changed this to 800Mhz in easytune5 in windows, and this is where my problems started.

On reboot my comp would get to the stage of the loading blue bar.. where it went accross 3 times... but then it just shut down without getting into windows. (DOH)

So.. I thought... no problem... just enter bios and change it back! So i did... but on reboot this time i didnt even get as far as the loading blue bar!)... instead recieving a message along the lines hard drives "device is inactive"... (sorry cant remember exactly)

So... i thought possibly a problem with RAIDsetup. Went into Raid bios... i could see the 2 hard drives, but the writting was in red and said again... "device inactive"...

I scratched my head. . .

since i only installed it yesterday and had no valuble data on it i just went about reinstalling windows, once again, using the floppy disk... to prepare Raid0 and then into windows agian.

So... could anyone tell me what happened... what i did wrong...

I wouldlike the Geil ram to run at its designed speed.... i know this is possible...

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

I loaded up Easytune on my comp just to see...

It reported my RAM as running at 200MHz, as it should since it is DDR. I think with your comp, it is reporting it as half of your FSB for some reason.

Download CPU-Z and check your RAM speed from that. That will give you a better look at what speed everything is running at. If you find discrepancies with CPU-Z that you are unsure of, post screenshots of the CPU-Z windows:D

Thanks for speedy reply...

Right... this is confusing...

Check out what the CPU-Z thinks!

apparently the geil ram is running at 333Mhz.

I do not think the drives being in Raid format makes a difference...
Yes i think you are right,... looks like Easy tune shows it running at half FSB... (not sure why)

Also the timings of the ram are not what they could be... they should be 4.4.4.12

I think perhaps on install the MOBO runs standard settings for this ram... and therefore the ram isnt running anywhere near what it could do.

Perhaps the timings being what they are is what stopped me from runnig it at 800Mhz?

Just a guess... how would i go about changing the timings...?

Thanks for the help

think it might actually be a detection problem mate. Im running 667 mhz OCZ ram, and cpu-z detects it as 333.5 mhz. I think it just means per channel, and this ram is double channel stuff. Wouldnt worry too much bud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom