RAM difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krum

Beta member
I have two Ultra 512MB PC3200 in my current computer. My friend keeps telling me that it is REALLY SLOW ram and that there other companies that would make my computer faster. Now I never really heard of RAM companies (Latency) making a big difference in computer performance.

He listed me a company he says is really good, and gave me a link of two choices. One was 2 sticks of 512, and the other was 2 sticks of 1GB, both are dual channel. The (2 x 1GB) has a slower speed, but it has 2GBs.... Anyways I've been thinking of getting the (2 x 1GB).

OK, so here is my question. Would the (2 x 1GB) really give my computer a performance boost? Taking in fact just the speed, not that I have an extra GB. So the speed of 2-3-2-5 compared to my current Ultra ram, would that give me more performance? Would it be worth the money to upgrade to that?

I know for a fact I'm getting a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and he also said the new memory would work even faster with that CPU.

Computer Spec:
RAM - 1GB RAM (2x Ultra)
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 bit, 3400+
VIDEO - Leadtek Geforce 6800 GT 256MB (AGP)
MOBO - Asus A8V Deluxe

Not worth it at all - UNLESS you're overclocking.
The difference is not justified given the price.
Yes, it will increase performance but not as much as much as putting it into a different component.
I would buy a 7800GT or faster processor with that money.
If you plan on overclocking, get the good ram and buy a XP 90 with 92mm panaflo.

"Not worth it at all - UNLESS you're overclocking."

So if I buy the RAM and overclock it, it will be worth the price? I've never overclocked RAM before, only the Videocard. I was wondering how much you can overclock the RAM if I get it, and how much extra performance you get out of overclocking the ram.

So it would be worth getting then, if overclocked? And how do you get the RAM cooled? Just have the casing with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom