RAM Choice for OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigi336

Solid State Member
about to order my new rig just have a last minute question.

I am getting an E8400, gtx 260, and 750i ftw and I am wondering about ram

4GB of OCZ Reaper 800mhz Cas 4

or

4GB of OCZ Reaper 1066mhz Cas 5

I do plan on doing some overclocking. Let me know what you guys think i should get!

Personally I'm a fan of these... Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Note: you don't overclock your RAM, you overclock your processor, and the RAM just comes along for the ride. I have 2 kits of the G.Skills above and have squeezed over 800MHz extra out of the CPU.

I don't have first hand experience in the OCZs, but many people around ehre seem to swear by them. I don't recommend pouring too much extra money into a 1066 chip if the 800 will perform just as well... though I don't know what chip the OCZs use, so I can't say.

The black G.Skills use D9GMH, which is ace for overclocking. Will hit 1600+ MHz if you loosen up the timings and keep them cool.

thanks! yea don't know much about overclocking yet. My first custom build and I want to get into it. guess what i am really asking thous is 800mhz with Cas 4 or 1066 with Cas 5 taking into consideration the rest of my pc.

lower CAS is better. If the memory is decent though, you can always tweak the CAS and frequency in the BIOS to suit your needs. It can come in handy to keep a nice even number in a ratio with your FSB.

I haven't heard many good things about the 750i for OC, so you might want to look into that. I'm using the 650i, which tends to have a cutoff, but fewer complaints.

EDIT: Note, Intel P45 is better for OC either way, compared to the nvidia chipsets.

Don't let overclocking be too big of a driving force in your build, though. It's a nice extra, but if you're spending more money on cooling equipment and "overclockable" components than quality, you might be doing it wrong.

I would have to say get the 1066. If the price difference isn't too much then it's totally justified. I believe that higher stock speeds are better...even when overclocking.

If you don't plan on sli I would get a Biostar I45 instead of the 750i FTW. The I45 is slightly cheaper and a better overclocker, it even holds the world record the highest fsb. If you do want multiple cards in the future you could also get a HD4870 and have the option for crossfire.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

As far as the ram goes I would get the 1066mhz so you have more headroom overclocking.

i wanted to go with the 750i ftw to leave myself the option to sli with two gtx 260's if i wanted too.

Does anyone know if the 750i ftw can fit two gtx 260's though? i seen a brief comment about using 4 power connectors on another site but couldnt pcik up the context.

Personally I'm a fan of these... Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

there the best ram out there hz's can take anything, however the new black edition pi's by gskill are also great.

Note: you don't overclock your RAM, you overclock your processor, and the RAM just comes along for the ride. I have 2 kits of the G.Skills above and have squeezed over 800MHz extra out of the CPU.

wrong, amd is like that, where as intel u can oc your ram without cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom