RAM Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjones007

Baseband Member
Well, much to my dismay....I discovered that my RAM is not 400MHz as I thought it was. I bought 2g of Corsair XMS DDR 400......I must have rushed through my order.
Anyhow, I have had it and all my components for about 8 months now, Is it worth upgrading my RAM to true 400mhz?

One day I will try to make a sig so my specs are known.

why do you think it isn't pc3200 ddr400?? If you are running a program like cpu-z or if you are looking at the clock speed in the bios and it is 200 mhz then it is pc3200 ddr400 because there are 2 instructions per clock cycle so if you are seeing 200mhz then times it by 2.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

that is a good question. I mentioned before in another post that I ran the Nvidia N-tune to check system performance. It said I should upgrade my RAm. Then I looked at all my receipts and print outs of what I ordered. The spec sheet says 200 mhz. :(

*edit* I will check with cpuz when I get home. Duh...I have that prg and did not use it to validate......slaps self.......

I'm not sure you're understanding what FlashDude said. The *actual* speed of PC3200 DDR400 ram is 200Mhz. That's what CPU-Z and most hardware monitoring apps will report. With DDR memory, the *effective* speed is double the real speed, and that's what sellers advertise of course.

i see now. Ok. So i have not lost anything.....nor am I able to gain anything. Except oc the ram i have now---correct?
No need to upgrade ram because I can't.:(

I think Corsair XMS overclocks fairly well, but then again, unless it's done to keep up with a CPU overclock, I don't think you'll gain much performance. What are the advertised timings?

EDIT: Maybe I was wrong. Read this review.

If your motherboard support dual channel, make sure you put your RAM in the corresponding slots. That'll give you a little more speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom