........(ram)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
In my never ending quest to bombard you all with RAM questions, I bring you my latest:

Would 2GB dual channel DDR500 (PC4000) provide significant gains over 2GB dual channel DDR400 (PC 3200)?

Also, would it be compatible with my P4 system which is currently using 1GB dual channel DDR400?

And, would it be compatible when I eventually get a new mobo (939) and an AMD X2 CPU?

Any help appreciated.

what is the max bus speed on your mobo and processor?

even if your motherboard and processor can't utilize the full speed of the ram. as long as it's the same # of pins you should be able to use it at 3200 speed and transfer it into a new board when you upgrade later.

Should work fine for P4 and 939 as long as the P4 DDR not DDR2. You won't notice a gain in performance though. It would give you some headroom in OCing.

You would have to OC the CPU to make the RAM run at DDR500, in which case it would be worth it.

woot6600GT said:
I don't plan to OC it, would I be better off just saving the money and getting DDR400?

Yup, just get some cheap stuff with good timeings.

I'll probably go with the corsair value DDR400 as attempts at OCing my CPU have been met with failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom