Status
Not open for further replies.

triskit

In Runtime
I need advice on buying ram. what would be the advantages to each 2GB setup:

4 * 512mb

or

2 * 1 gb

what are the advantages/disadvantages of each, what type of use would each be best for, etc etc, any advice would be appreciated

2 X 1GB for better upgradability and less problems with the A64 memory controller, that is if your running an athlon64.

For gaming, if you can find 2x1Gb with competitive timings, it's faster. It may end up being more expensive though, but it's much more worth it IMO.

Go for the 2*1GB. That way if you really decide to in the future you can go up to 4GB.
Most XP OS' can't address more than 3Gb of memory, and 4Gb of memory is beyound overkill for the time being. Maybe the upcoming Conroe and AM2 processors will take advantage of and better support larger memory amounts, but as of now, 2x1Gb should be the most you buy.

2x1gb ALSO because u utilize dual channel.

And 4x512mb would also be run in dual channel ...

There would just be two instances of dual channel running.

Brtnboarder495 said:
Most XP OS' can't address more than 3Gb of memory, and 4Gb of memory is beyound overkill for the time being. Maybe the upcoming Conroe and AM2 processors will take advantage of and better support larger memory amounts, but as of now, 2x1Gb should be the most you buy.

Yes, I know that, I was saying for future OSs, not just XP. Sorry if what I wrote was confusing, but that's what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom