RAIDS, Raptors and WD 750GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDaddyGator

In Runtime
I am working on a new computer build that will be used to photo edit (16,000KB photos) and amature video edit (beginner video editing).

My computer builder person has suggested that I put 2 150 GB Raptors in a RAID0 configuration, and have an additional 500 GB drive for backup. The reason for the RAID0 and the Raptors is for the speed that will help the photo and video editing. I will be using a Q6600 processor with 4GB of 800MHZ memory and Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

In another post some have suggested that I don't need the speed of the Raptors. It has been suggested that I should use 3 WD 750GB hard drives in a RAID5 configuration. Of course I would lose the speed enhancement of the RAID0 and gain the security of the RAID5.

QUESTIONS:

1. How much of a difference do the Raptors make in a RAID0 configuration?

2. Should I just scratch the RAID0 configuration idea and use the 3 WD 750GB hard drives in a RAID5 or should I get 5 500 GB hard drives and do a RAID5 configuration?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

The Raptors in my opinion, are just too much for the amount of space they offer. It's just not worth it. I'd definitely choose the WD 750GBs over the Raptors, as they are on par with the Raptor's speed.

Will there be a great deal of difference in speed between the Raptors in RAID 0 and the WD 750's without a RAID?

Possibly, but like I said before. The price is just too much for the amount of space it offers. Why not RAID 0, two WD 750s instead. They're about the same price, but you get 1200GB more of space, compared to the Raptors.

I am in utter awe of the amount of space you guys require :p 750 gigs? I can't even use that in my entire life time

I wanted to go the 2 seagate RAID 0 route, but I figured its way too much hassle/time to learn how to RAID them properly + the fact I don't have a floppy drive. Instead I opted for the WD 150 gig ( for OS and games ) + Seagate 80 gig HD for storage of media. Althought it costed me a lot, the WD Raptor 150 is only 165, down from like 250 a couple of months back, and this is a much easier alternative imho, plus I dont have to worry about that whole double chance of data risk loss that comes along with RAID 0. 470 gigs is more then enough for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom