Raid Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
wth does IMO mean? or FTW? but ya if one drive fails in RAID 0, data is unusable, but a format is necessary, or the HD is totally unusable....... but if u consider a WD RaptorX or Seagate Cheetah RAID0 is a WAY.... cheaper alternative...... u get more HD, maybe more speed...... and WAY less price.....

lol...IMO is an acronym for "In my opinion" and FTW stands for "for the win". So IMO, RAID 0 2xSG 7200.10 320GB HDs, FTW!

i thought it meant something like that :) but benchmarks on ET (extremetech) it may perform on par or outperforms the RaptorX/Cheetah , more space, less price, more speed, what else can u ask for!! FTW RAID0 owns!!

I've used RAID 0 with both 7,200RPM and 10,000RPM drives and the performance increase over an independent drive is nonexistant. Simply put, if you were to use a machine with a single 74GB raptor side by side with two 36GB Raptors, chances are you couldn't tell which is which.

10,000RPM drives on the other hand are significantly faster than a 7,200RPM RAID 0, however I will admit larger capacity 7,200RPM are getting faster. Look at my computers, I've been using 10,000RPM drives for years and I simply will not go back to a 7,200RPM drive as a primary boot drive because there is a huge difference. Raptors are good investments because they almost never fluctuate in price, which is rare for computer hardware. You do not buy them for storage, you buy them to speed up load times on programs.

yeah but for the price i would rather a SG 320gb hd over a raptor to save money. and maybe add another 320gb in raid 0 later on if the space is needed.

I've used RAID 0 with both 7,200RPM and 10,000RPM drives and the performance increase over an independent drive is nonexistant. Simply put, if you were to use a machine with a single 74GB raptor side by side with two 36GB Raptors, chances are you couldn't tell which is which.

10,000RPM drives on the other hand are significantly faster than a 7,200RPM RAID 0, however I will admit larger capacity 7,200RPM are getting faster. Look at my computers, I've been using 10,000RPM drives for years and I simply will not go back to a 7,200RPM drive as a primary boot drive because there is a huge difference. Raptors are good investments because they almost never fluctuate in price, which is rare for computer hardware. You do not buy them for storage, you buy them to speed up load times on programs.

I've never used a 10k rpm drive but I have 2 160gb seagate 7200rpms in RAID 0 and they are pretty quick. Raid 0 + vista superfetch makes windows so much better than it used to be

It's worth it, if you want your stuff secured. But I just backup, everything on DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom